16th November 2019

Heritage Audio Successor Stereo Bus Compressor by Morgueritual

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Heritage Audio Successor Stereo Bus Compressor

A home run by Mr Rodriguiz and Heritage Audio. This diode bridge compressor kicks major ass. Bus compression is normally reserved for VCA type compressors (as you know) but the fellas at Heritage Audio dared to try something different it seems. I have my 2 bus going into a pair of Warm Audio Pultecs (which are amazing btw) then into the successor. The first thing I noticed is the stereo field widened quite dramatically. Transients are coming through more and the kick, snare and bass are more punchy.
The features are dynamite. With ratio going from 1.5:1 to LIMITER and the usual suspects in between there is plenty here to play with. The release times are crazy. From 50 nanoseconds to 20 milliseconds. Way beyond what you need for bus compression which leaves room to f**k things up if you want to be creative. The threshold from -20 to 20db. It also has an internal sidechain filter that has 80hz, 160hz, 800hz, 3k, and 5k. See the manual for what these do. All knobs are stepped for easy recall except threshold and blend. So parallel compression is also possible. There is also a 100% wet switch so you and A-B with the blend knob. There are also external sidechain inputs in the rear. And of course the classic SSL style VU meter.
Build quality is amazing. It's HEAVY. You can tell there is some serious stuff happening inside the unit.
This compressor is VERY versatile too. It is right at home on the drum bus, room mics (you can smash the hell out of them with the crazy attack and release times) and sounds KILLER on bass guitar. EDM kicks sound unreal as well.
For $1450 this compressor is a no brainer.

4th January 2020

Heritage Audio Successor Stereo Bus Compressor by Kerbkrawler

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Heritage Audio Successor Stereo Bus Compressor

The Heritage Audio Successor is a stereo buss compressor based around the venerable diode bridge found in the likes of the Neve 33609, Neve 529, BAE 10DC and IGS V8 to name a few.

Sound Quality: This compressor will surprise you with the euphonic quality of the sound. It sounds punchy and fat with a solid character. Perhaps it is too colored for some types of music, but boy does that color sound good. I have experimented extensively with this on the drum buss and have been very pleased with the results relative to my SSL clone. I have found it a little more challenging on the two buss as the unit does have a distinct character, but I am certain that after a little more time with the unit and becoming more familiar with the characteristics of the mix knob, attack/release relationships that I will be able to dial in some more transparent two buss settings that are more to my liking. The unit makes no pops, clicks etc while bypassing or switching the filter types. I would like to note that I could not replicate the needle slamming behavior mentioned on the Successor's GS thread when engaging or bypassing the compressor. If I do find settings that cause that behavior, I will update my review accordingly.

Ease of Use: Couldn't be easier, everything is detented with one set of controls for L/R. Metering is clean and responsive.

Features: The available SC filter options include the standard HPF at 60, 160 plus another at 800, a bell at 3K and a another HPF at 5K (perhaps for a de-essing sort of use). The unit is very generous with attack and release options (e.g. 50 nanosecond attack!) and has TWO auto release modes. Ratios options abound with 1.5 all the way up to 20:1 for limiting. Knobs are solid with firm detent action. The unit is heavier than you might think based on the size, construction feels very solid. I would have preferred more than 10db on the makeup gain, but that is a minor quibble.

Bang for the Buck: As of this writing, I defy you to find a buss compressor with this many options and sound quality for the price ($1,499). It is definitely worth the money for the drum buss alone and I have yet to scratch its potential for other uses. If you are in the market for a buss compressor in the $1500-$2000 range, the Successor deserves a serious listen.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search