3 weeks ago

Heritage Audio Successor Stereo Bus Compressor by Morgueritual

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Heritage Audio Successor Stereo Bus Compressor

A home run by Mr Rodriguiz and Heritage Audio. This diode bridge compressor kicks major ass. Bus compression is normally reserved for VCA type compressors (as you know) but the fellas at Heritage Audio dared to try something different it seems. I have my 2 bus going into a pair of Warm Audio Pultecs (which are amazing btw) then into the successor. The first thing I noticed is the stereo field widened quite dramatically. Transients are coming through more and the kick, snare and bass are more punchy.
The features are dynamite. With ratio going from 1.5:1 to LIMITER and the usual suspects in between there is plenty here to play with. The release times are crazy. From 50 nanoseconds to 20 milliseconds. Way beyond what you need for bus compression which leaves room to f**k things up if you want to be creative. The threshold from -20 to 20db. It also has an internal sidechain filter that has 80hz, 160hz, 800hz, 3k, and 5k. See the manual for what these do. All knobs are stepped for easy recall except threshold and blend. So parallel compression is also possible. There is also a 100% wet switch so you and A-B with the blend knob. There are also external sidechain inputs in the rear. And of course the classic SSL style VU meter.
Build quality is amazing. It's HEAVY. You can tell there is some serious stuff happening inside the unit.
This compressor is VERY versatile too. It is right at home on the drum bus, room mics (you can smash the hell out of them with the crazy attack and release times) and sounds KILLER on bass guitar. EDM kicks sound unreal as well.
For $1450 this compressor is a no brainer.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search