The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Nice sounding speakers that will find good use for professional or entertainment use. They are very portable, you might find more use for them than you originally thought.

1 week ago

IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitor by MusicArch12

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

Context: I am hobbyist musician having previously owned Alesis M1 Active MKII and having listened several monitors in shop before settling on these. My room is untreated (yet), but I have found position where the speakers have best sound.

With that out of the way, let's get to the review.

Sound is detailed. One can clearly hear what is going on in the mix. Higher mids (somewhere between 3-5 kHz) are more pronounced. For me, it led to higher ear fatigue, but it improved by placing speakers a bit farther. Bass is deep and tight; of appropriate proportion to other frequencies. Considering the size, bass is awesome and almost impossible. Specs say they go to 50 Hz and by the ear, they are somewhere around there.

With sound calibration software (ARC or Sonarworks), the pronounced higher mids should not be a problem.

The sound is very satisfying overall allowing quite some level of confidence.

The inputs are unbalanced - either 3.5 mm stereo jack (the middle size), 2x RCA (CINCH) connectors or Bluetooth. I'd suggest using the RCA inputs instead of jack as the cable will probably hang down and its weight will be hold by two connectors with metal rings. Balanced inputs and / or 6.3 mm jacks would be nice.

Preamp hisses a bit when volume knob is halfway, one can hear it when nothing plays. I usually play the speakers a bit quieter so I could hear that. It helped to turn down the volume on speakers a bit and to increase volume of the input signal.
When Bluetooth is used, one can hear high-pitched tone when nothing is playing. Once something plays, it cannot be heard.

The speakers can stand on the desk or they can be mounted on microphone stand. After experimenting with desk placement, with microphone stand I am much happier. YMMV, my room is untreated.

Pros:

• size and portability
  • detailed sound
  • great sound range

Cons:
  • no balanced inputs, no 6.3 mm jacks
  • preamp hissing a bit
  • high-pitched tone when connected to Bluetooth and nothing plays

I chose iLoud Micro Monitor over JBL LSR 305 which I was considering as well. According to review http://noaudiophile.com/IK_Multimedia_iLoudMM/ , they have quite similar frequency range (haven't found measurement with frequency and time).

Due to mentioned cons, I initially hesitated if I should keep them. In the end (after figuring out that I should lower volume on speakers) and after finding the right place for them, they prove to be reliable and good sounding.

Added value (which I did not realize until having them), is their small size and Bluetooth connectivity.

One can use them as speakers for entertainment as well. With bag, they are portable and with Bluetooth, there is no hassle when casually playing music from the phone or laptop. Due to this, I use them more than I'd use other monitors.

Last edited by MusicArch12; 1 week ago at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Reformulated last sentence

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search