The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA-EQP1A

Stam Audio SA-EQP1A

5 5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Excellent Pultec style EQ, the SA-EQP1A made by Stam Audio, and it has the MEQ-5 style midrange within the same unit. What more can you ask for in this price range;)

4th September 2019

Stam Audio SA-EQP1A by Bfz

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-EQP1A

I recently got a pair of Stam EQP1 pultecs and I thought I would do a shootout between the Stam Audio, and plugins like Waves and UAD style Pultecs. Reason I did it with virtual plugins is because that's what I have been using for years, and I thought the Stam would be a good stepping point for engineers who do not have the hardware to step and get this baby or 2 of them

I matched all the levels so you can compare and most importantly I matched all the settings to be as close as possible to the Stam unit blew all them away!

Conclusion:

They all had variances in tone. But there is nothing like going through a real hardware unit, don’t get me wrong all my albums I have mixed itb using UAD and Waves plugins and I got great results, but I always knew I wanted that depth and clarity which frankly I got in the Stam.

The bottom end on the Stam, was tight and punchy (no flubber) and what a sexy unit! The high end was silky and smooth with a nice vibe, it was so pleasant to the ears. Yes do believe the Hype, Stam stands up like a champion and most importantly I love what Joshua stands for in the market, these units were made with heart & soul, you can feel it. And for this price, its a no brainer.

The mid eq addition is brilliant, smart move Mr Stam

They will be my go to units on my stereo bus, drum bus and as mono eq's in the mix.

Do yourself a favour and get it, you will not regret it.

30th September 2019

Stam Audio SA-EQP1A by JulianMorris7

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-EQP1A

Hello Slutz,

I got my Stam EQP1A two weeks ago and was able to record some vocals with it. I have the upgrade version with the NOS tubes and must say: this EQ sounds amazing!

We have used it on a rap vocal. Daniel Morrell from London (UK) was in the studio and recorded two tracks. The chain was: Stam SA-87 mic into Stam SA-73 EQ preamp into the Stam SA-3a compressor into the Stam SA-EQP1A into a RME Babyface interface. Just some low cut on the preamp and some db of compression to level out a bit before hitting the SA-EQP1A.

The artist was absolutely in love with the clarity and smooth sound the SA-EQP1A was able to create. When you disengage the EQ it feels like someone has put a curtain between you and the speakers. No matter how much you dial in, it always sounds musical and almost never wrong. Altough we compressed quite a bit on the way going in we had no problems with harsh "esses" at all. By using all the hardware while recording the artist had a great sound in his phones right away which helped him to perform better.

For me the SA-EQP1A is just the missing link when it comes to a great vocal sound. Especially the mid-section which is added to the SA-EQP1A can be really helpful in shaping the sound. The highs sound absolutely natural, smooth and silky. I haven´t had a chance to test it on other sources yet, but will do soon.

To sum it up: The SA-EQP1A is an excellent piece of gear which beats the cheap Pultec recreations every single time. To me the SA-EQP1A plays in a different league: in the Champions League. When it comes to sound and build quality, at this price point, the SA-EQP1A is real bargain! I am planning to add two more units to my master buss, as this EQ simply sounds fantastic and does the pultec trick as it should!

Hope you can get your hands on one of these soon - Joshua and the team at Stam Audio are lovely people and do their best to deliver highend gear at a reasonable price. I can highly recommend all of their products and especially the SA-EQP1A!

Cheers,
Julian

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search