The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Electro-Voice RE520

Electro-Voice RE520

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Amazing sounding vocal microphone, detailed and warm. Love it.

17th August 2019

Electro-Voice RE520 by Deemanonice

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Electro-Voice RE520

After 25 years of working in my studio and no live performances, I decided it was time to go back on stage. I needed a new vocal microphone and did not want to settle on the usual suspects. After some research, I ended up purchasing a brand new Electro Voice RE520. First, let me say that I have always been an Electro Voice kind of guy. Most of my microphones in the 70s and 80s consisted of EV microphones and to this day I still have several (RE55’s, RE15’s, RE20, PL9 ….) in my mic locker.

First Impressions
The RE520 is a supercardioid condenser microphone and requires 48 volt phantom power to operate.
The first thing that impressed me when I took it out of the box was its weight. This mic feels solid and very well built. It is made out of metal (not Plastic) and it looks like it can take a real beating without breaking. Classic Electro Voice! After all these years they are still manufacturing microphones that are built to last you a lifetime. Love it!

Sound and Features
The RE520’s sound is very clear and detailed. If I had to describe the sound in simple terms, I would say it sounds smooth and silky, with a detailed quality to it.
The mic has a frequency boost in the upper mid-range to enhance the clarity of the vocals. The lows are warm but not overbearing. Even when your lips are right on the grille, pop noise and proximity effect are well controlled. If you still feel the need to reduce the low frequency content, you can engage a high-pass filter that attenuates below 150 Hz. The switch is located under the grille. Having the high-pass switch on the outside of the microphone would have been more practical, but then the RE520 is a live vocal microphone so how many times do you really need to get to the high-pass filter? To engage the HPF you have to unscrew the grille and flip a switch. This is an easy step, and the switch is large enough to be flipped with your fingers.
In addition, the microphone has a vibration-absorbing internal shock mount, so in handheld operation the handling noise is very well-controlled.

I’ve been able to test the RE520 now for several months and can’t come up with anything that I don’t like about this microphone. My one complaint about the high-pass switch not being accessible from the outside is a minor detail. Let’s be honest, most vocal microphones don’t even offer this kind of feature. The RE520 is a rock solid-vocal microphone that is built like a tank and, best of all, it sounds absolutely fantastic.

In Conclusion
The Electro Voice RE520 is an exceptional live-performer in the rehearsal room and on stage. I have had no problems with feedback and my vocals are now always cutting through the live mix.
If you are planing on buying a new vocal microphone, the Electro Voice RE520 is well worth considering. It is one fantastic-sounding microphone and, with its well-built quality, it should withstand even the most demanding on-stage conditions.

Last edited by Deemanonice; 17th August 2019 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: Trying to upload Header image with no success

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Electro-Voice RE520
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search