Focal Shape Twin by Sound Arch

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Focal Shape Twin

Focal Shape Twin

About an upgrade in monitoring department. The main reason for postponing it for such a long time was that I haven’t really came across anything that sounded decent without spending 3000eu for a pair !
Until I went to Focal’s demonstration day at SAE Athens, there were other Shape models presented as well. In begin I was suspicious, all shape series just look over complicated to me, to many things could go wrong
I’ve never been impressed with any 8inch monitor, to me they sound boomy and bass is somehow messed up.
Twin shapes are really not something I would go in term of equipment, I’m always prefer simple minimalistic approach when it come to choice of equipment. When Vincent, Focal’s tech presenter, start explaining technology behind twin shape, to me it sounded like ‘name your poison’ case. There is potential delay and phasing issue on any part of this speaker, Two 5inch woofers with overlapping cross over frequencies, side sub radiator sound like perfect case scenario for delayed low end frequencies, I’m not sure how but somehow magically they did it and I trust them.

Setting up

At moment they are set up in 1,45m triangle in between speakers and listeners sweet spot.
I’M NOT SURE WHAT IS THE TRICK BUT YOU CAN WALK AROUND THE ROOM, EVEN LEAVE THE ROOM AND YOU WILL STILL HEAR THE STEREO SIGNA, that is how wide is sweet spot.
Benefits
I mix at lower levels and still can hear full range frequencies, finally I’ve stop using headphones to check low end.
Work flow in much faster, mixing is much more pleasant process.
Future/vision :
I’m waiting for a day when there will be smart studio monitors available on the market, sonically I can’t think of something better than stuff like barefoot, PMC and Focal maybe a bit more affordable prices, but if they manage to do something like smart monitors where they will will have implemented something like Sonarworx technology with sensor which will shape the sound of the speaker according to position in the room, well that would be sick!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Focal Shape Twin
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search