The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio SA-76ADG

Stam Audio SA-76ADG

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great, versitile 1176-style compressor

2 weeks ago

Stam Audio SA-76ADG by thejook

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-76ADG

Great compressor. My numerical reviews speak for themselves. Instead of describing the sound, however, I thought it would be fun to do a little shootout of a female vocal through the 3 different revisions of the 1176 that this unit emulates. The vocal was recorded with a Neumann CMV-563 via a Stam Audio 1073MPA and IJ Research UN76 with 2-4db of compression at 4:1 and quick release. There is a ground loop issue that you can hear at times. For the purposes of this shootout, try to ignore it

Then I thought, why not include a plugin (UAD 1176 Rev A) with as close to the same type of settings as I could get (used my ears, not the UI).

THEN I thought, why not also try that vocal through the Stam Audio SA-3A, SA-2A, and another 1176 clone I have by IJ Research that's an 1176 circuit (rev unknown) with neve 1272 output stage (UN76). I also tried a combo I love, which is the 1176 (Rev A in this case) going into the SA-2A on Limit with ~0.5-1dB of gain reduction.

And since my BAE 10DC was lonely, I tried that too.

With the different hardware compressors, I used my ears to get the 'best' out of each. That meant not matching settings, but really trying to see what each unit's sweet spot was with her vocal. With the SA76ADG I kept the settings identical except for output level on the Rev A as it's a little lower than the others.

Here's the SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-734137813/sets

Here are all the compressors and their settings:

EDIT: The 10DC settings are much different than pictured. Oh well.

And a Soundcloud with all the versions, including dry. Vocal is rough mixed with the song, louder than usual and with no other processing. I find soloed instruments aren't really interesting when evaluating compression.

Last edited by thejook; 2 weeks ago at 06:13 AM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Stam Audio SA-76ADG
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search