The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Meyer Sound AMIE Monitors

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Recently I spent a week with 2 Meyer Sound "AMIE" studio monitors. These are the successors to the Meyer HD-1. Outstanding monitors! $5000 / pair

4 weeks ago

Meyer Sound AMIE Monitors by Plush

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

Recently I spent a week with 2 Meyer Sound "AMIE" studio monitors. These are the successors to the Meyer HD-1.
Here follows a my report, evaluation, and critique of these speakers.

Please see the pics below.

These are two way monitors of not too big a size. Dimensions are:
15.3 " tall
12.6" deep
9" wide

So not too big a footprint. I used them as they might be used in a poor monitoring environment--on a table top in an untreated room. In a telephone consult with Meyer, the man I talked to told me that they are specifically designed to give an accurate impression of the program material in a less than good room. They do this by presenting a lot of detail via the wave guide loaded fabric tweeter which has mostly horizontal dispersion and a very controlled and limited vertical sound dispersion.

I heard this as a very focused and detailed signal with excellent imaging only in a small "sweet spot" listening window. Move side to side and the detail and excellent stereo image is gone. So not a monitor to play back music to a group. A single engineer monitoring solution.

The sound and detail was outstanding and it outdid my other small monitors here by a good bit.

Meyer explains that each pair is matched carefully + or - 1dB from 45Hz. to 20kHz. Also phase is meticulously matched on each pair. I heard this matching! What I mean is I heard how well they projected an excellent stereo iimage (among the best ever heard here) and how coherent the pair sounded, for lack of a better word to describe excellent phase response.

I used them wanting to get used to their tonal qualities as a FIRST qualification. I can't stand bright sound and these sounded very neutral and true to the source. Midrange was not boosted and treble was correct and listenable. Not an exaggerated sound at all and never a dull sound. So accurate as to what the source sounds like.

2. Next, when listening back to a recent choral and piano master, I noticed that sometimes the left channel was predominant over the right channel. I had heard this in my PMC monitors but not with the delineation offered by the AMIE monitors. I continued to listen for 1 hour and heard laid bare some of my mix decisions. They were not bad decisions and the record sounded spectacular played through the AMIE monitors. At one point the sound lulled me into a dream state just as I did plan for the eventual listener to do. The special qualities of the mix came through big time!

But I wish I had them for the mix done last year. I would have done some things a little differently.
So this is a high recommendation for the AMIE's.

I listened to another master where the AMIE monitors laid bare and quite audible some rumble in the background and some not desirable wind noise from some organ chambers. Yes, I heard this on my PMC super stack, but the AMIE monitors were better at telling me what was happening. I think that I could have applied some surgical EQ to alleviate some of the room tone and noise.

I wish I had these AMIE monitors early this year when I was mixing that record.

3. I tested for bass response with some recordings of bass drum. These muthas reproduced a really credible bass drum sound. One could tell that there was more deep bass in the signal than could be reproduced but a really nice bass report issued forth out of these not gigantic speakers.

4. Piano recordings do torture a speaker and I proceeded to torture the AMIE's.
I played my Evgeni Bozhanov Scarlatti recording done with a pair of Schoeps M221b mics. The nickel diaphragms offer a silky sound that must be immediately recognizable to recordists. There it was! The sound was reproduced SO MUCH better than with the B&W 802's I played back this same recording on last week.

The AMIE sound killed the British monitor sound.

5. Lastly spoken word which, for me, is always the best test of tonal accuracy and true-ness. I played a recording of my friend Dennis Moore, the announcer. I do know his voice very well and the AMIE sound was his voice exactly. Same with Kerry Frumkin, an announcer I have spent hundreds of hours working with. So there it was. Verified accuracy.

Meyer Sound arranged this demo for me and shipped the AMIE pair to TC Furlong their local dealer. The whole thing came packed in a giant Pelican case with custom cut outs for the monitors and accessories.

Price is $5000 / pair.

That is my report.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Meyer Sound AMIE Monitors
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search