15th April 2019

Stam Audio SA-1073EQ by Scottyrockernz

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ

This thing really is incredible. The warmth in this pre amp and the eq itself is just perfect.

Super easy to use and set up and the actual unit looks fantastic. It’s a must buy!

Worth the wait easy. Best thing I own.

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ-28b008db-1fcc-4cbb-9e22-3bc23b2d7164.jpg  

3rd May 2019

Stam Audio SA-1073EQ by mikesc

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ

In a nutshell, the sound quality on the Stam 1073EQ is stellar. It emulates the Neve 1073 character better than any other Neve clone I’ve personally used or heard. Powering on you’ll notice immediately the circuit with Sowter transformers leads to sonics that are beautifully rich, thick and smooth. I’ve owned and used other Neve clones, but this simply beats them all. When comparing side by side, it was as if the Stam 1073EQ lifted a veil compared to the others I've used while nailing the Neve sound.

Some clones use good parts in places while skimping in other areas, choosing designs built for certain price points for a specific niche of the market, while Stam’s no compromise approach on part quality choices throughout his 1073EQ is a difference you can immediately hear as it beats all comers clearly aiming for the build better sonics, and they will come market. All I have to say is I’m glad I ordered a pair!

The other thing that is clear to me after owning other Stam pieces is this company is driven to be the best at what they do, continually looking for ways to refine and improve already top notch products. I see other companies pick a different strategy and stay in their lanes for their desired piece of the market. Whether it's quality for the price, or just plain quality gear that matters to you most, don’t sleep on what’s happening at Stam Audio.

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ-img_3632.jpg  
16th May 2019

Stam Audio SA-1073EQ by Daniel Redd

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ

Stam Audio hits one out the park yet again. This time with their replica version of the venerable 1073 Mic Pre. Stam Audio held nothing back and provided us with Carnhill Input (I/P) Transformers (Trany), Sowter Output (O/P) Trany, the correct number of high quality Inductors (3) from Carnhill, High Quality Transistor and lastly, High Quality Circuit Components. All this led a Thick and Lucious sounding Mic Pre!

Not only that, once you start driving the I/P this is where things get very interesting and complex. Turns out, when you start driving the I/P Knob past 50 and above, you start overdriving the signal causing beautiful rich sounding distortion and changing the original EQ Curve of the signal. But engage the EQ and now, you can start to shape the distortion of the distorted EQ Curve thus becoming a tone shaper.

This is where the complexity kicks in because every I/P Dent past 50 delivers a slight different EQ Curve providing a plethora of tone shaping options when boosting. However, if you wish to clean up the enriched EQ Curve, when you attenuate, it'll always be the same type of cut curve no matter how distorted your EQ Curve may be. One last thing about the EQ, each High Pass (HP) Filter Freq has a different type of Filter which makes shaping the Bass Freqs very interesting and fun. None of this could've been accomplished had Josh and the team at Stam Audio not used top quality components throughout the entire device.

Stam Audio definitely delivered a great sounding unit here without sacrifices. The 1073EQ has depth and warmth, and when you start Boosting the Upper Freqs, it does it effortlessly and with lush. And that bass! Man that bass! The best analogy I’ve come up with is when someone knocks at a heavy door. You hear the knock inside the house, but because it’s low freq transients, you also feel the knock slightly vibrate the room and walls. That’s the bass I got from Stam! It was rich and beautiful!

What would I like to see in a MKII 1073EQ? First, I would like for the knobs to be flushed with the faceplate. Second, the addition of at least one or two more High Shelf Freqs, at least a 15K or 16K addition would be great. Next, a Post O/P Attenuator to also drive the gorgeous Sowter O/P Trany. Lastly, although I do like the current color, the gray knobs blend in too much with the faceplate. I'm thinking some sort of Charcoal Gray, Black of some sort of darker shade of the Slate Blue. Notice these are mostly cosmetic changes and additional features for additional value. The signal path is great as it is!

In closing, I strongly believe that the only reason Stam Audio is compared to the Sub $1K brands is because of its price. You absolutely will not get close to the quality Stam Audio brings to the table. ALL Sub $1K brands will cut corners compromising the sound signature of a real 1073. Even if you Mod a Sub $1K Brand, it will always fall short of the Stam 1073EQ, let alone a real 1073. Stam Audio really performs against units costing $2-3K at retail stores. Let’s never take Stam Audio for granted because Joshua and the Stam Audio team are delivering out of this world studio gear at a reasonable price for home/project studio owners. Even big studios benefit out of Stam because they can preserve their classic gear and throw reliable and consistent Stam Audio workhorses that’s not far at all from sounding like the originals.

One last thing, I gotta give props where props are due. Stam Audio really does go above and beyond with quality parts. I’ve noticed now with the SA-2A, 3A and 1073EQ that the potentiometers (Pots) are top notch! Every time I’ve conducted my tests, I make sure to level match. Well, I’ve noticed that the Pots in Stam Audio always and I mean ALWAYS! respond accurately each and every time with very little effort. It’s the right type of tactile feedback to what my digital meters are displaying. This is not the case with my Sub $1K gear! Sub $1K never amplifies or attenuates at a consistent rate. So kudos to Stam Audio.

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ-4cad18fc-e475-4731-8c82-5aedbe493bdb.jpg  
7th June 2019

Stam Audio SA-1073EQ by Unheard Vision

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ

This thing is an absolute masterpiece. I have the version with the Sowter output transformer as well as the line input transformer. It arrived double boxed and packed perfectly. I gently shook the box before opening it and I could not hear the gear shifting around at all...which is how it should be!

I just played around with the 1073EQ for about a half hour and my mind is absolutely blown!!! This thing is a piece of art. Without a doubt one of the best pieces of gear in my studio now (and I've got dozens of outboard gear)

As a guitar player...the first thing I did was to use the unit with my Gibson Les Paul guitar. I'm using a Rupert Neve RNDI as a DI for the guitar, and the output of that goes into the Mic input on the back of the Stam 1073EQ...then the Stam unit's 48V powers up the Neve RNDI. This is the best guitar tone I've ever gotten in my entire life!!! The EQ is mind-blowing...and these transformers are incredible. I boosted the volume to around 65 and the trim pot 75% or more and wow...the distortion as the transformer saturates is unreal.

I also tested out using just the front DI with guitar, ukulele, and bass...and the results were outstanding every single time! I love this unit this much and I haven't even had a chance to put a mic through it! I have the Stam SA-87 microphone and I can't wait to run it through the 1073EQ. I have no doubt it's going to be outstanding.

I highly recommend this piece of gear to anyone looking for a high-end preamp with some of the most musical EQ you will ever hear. Great job, Josh...and the rest of the Stam Audio team!

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ-1073eq.jpg   Stam Audio SA-1073EQ-1073eq-top.jpg   Stam Audio SA-1073EQ-1073eq-back.jpg   Stam Audio SA-1073EQ-1073eq-box.jpg  
18th June 2019

Stam Audio SA-1073EQ by JPAudet

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ

This is a great piece of gear. I have the version with the Sowter and the input transformer.

First, the mic pre by itself sound fantastic. When you go above -50db, some distortion start to appear. It provides a lot of warmth and pleasant harmonics and give a very nice mojo to different sources. You can really go from subtle to agressive! Very nice! Then you can mess around with the Hi-Z button to change the impedance of the source witch also changes the overall tone. To me it add some air and grit. Very cool!

Second, the EQ. Thats where the fun begins! I love the interaction between the low cut and the low Shelf eq. You can really cut some unwanted low end and boost a specific frequency at the same time. Very nice for kick, basse and even to give some fatness to a snare or a guitar without the muddiness. I found that little is a lot with this eq. I prefer to use it within a certain sweet spot range around +/- 0. Also have to mention the eq and the preamp will sonically behave accordingly depending on how hard you push them. A lot of tone color can be achieve just messing around with the knobs.

Big props to the line input transfo!!! Because of it you can send a dull track trough the unit and benefit from the preamp color in line input mode. Very useful if you don't want to commit to much when tracking! Love it.

I'm glad I ordered 2 units. So far I tested them with acoustic guitars, electric guitars, basse, drums, fiddle, synths, vocals, even with glockenspiels and it can really give some mojo and life to pretty much everything from subtle to agressive.

Personally I don't really care if the Stam sound exactly the same as the real 1073 because they do sound very good standing alone. I think they really bring the 1073 spirit into every home studio and even in very professional recording places.

Great job Stam keep it up!!

1st July 2019

Stam Audio SA-1073EQ by Cassymptote

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ

This is a fantastic piece of gear. I am actually reviewing the 1073MPA but there isn’t a separate page for that unit. So to be clear, this review is for the dual channel preamp, not the EQ.

First up - the good!

Unit’s build quality is sturdy, knobs/buttons all feel good to use, and operation is super simple. Big Marconi knob for the input gain, trim knob for the output, polarity, +48 and a hi-z button for each channel. DI on the front. Easy.

I’ve never used a real 1073, so I can’t pretend to say how it stacks up against the real unit. However, I can say that this preamp sounds fantastic, most of the time. It is not an -all around workhorse- sometimes it’s just a bit too coloring in the midrange for my ears for particular parts. Not a knock at all on the unit, in fact I think it’s a benefit. I didn’t buy this preamp to be a Swiss Army knife, I was more looking for something that would add color and vibe to tracks, and this does that in spades.

I’ve put my 414 ULS, SM81, 421, and a bunch of other mics through this pre and it doesn’t disappoint. It was especially fantastic with the SM81 recording a 60s Guild Dreadnaught, balancing out the brightness of the 81s in a fantastic way, to this day it remains my favorite recordings of an acoustic.

Again, the preamp doesn’t always work, sometimes I’ve found it doesn’t sit vocals well, the midrange excitement being a bit too much, same with electric guitars, but other times it is perfect. Again, this isn’t a -do everything- preamp, but it does a ton of things, and does them fantastically.

Now for the not so good

I only have two complaints.

The first one is a common one with Stam, it took a while to get the unit, the production date got pushed back I think 3 times. However, the company was good about communicating what was going on, and offered a very generous deal as an apology.

They also seem to have gotten their production issues more sorted and are dedicated to fixing their reputation when it comes to production time/delivery. So, as far as I’m concerned, no harm, no foul. The unit really is fantastic.

Second complaint is really more on me than anything but it stands as a good advisory to anybody ordering. Since the unit is built in Chile, it arrived set to 240 volts, which I didn’t realize when I turned it on initially, I turned it on and a bunch of stuff wasn’t working properly. Luckily it was only on for a couple minutes before I realized what was up and found the 115 switch on the back. Worked great after that, luckily I didn’t burn any components up. Again, that one was on me, but it’s a good heads up to give I think.

27th July 2019

Stam Audio SA-1073EQ by Birdy Nam Nam

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ

Howdy Partner

First I will state - Im not a tech spec kind of guy, ill leave that to all those good folks here on Gearslutz, that know fare more than I know, but my ears don’t bleed or are no where near def, and my eyes has yet not deceived me, so I figure a Review certainly wouldn’t put any one to misery here.

Let me get to the most important point,

the sound…

wow….these preamps sound so musical, ( I Bought Two) it just sings, and it is smooth like butter, no harshness in the upper frequencies, it is pure sweetness for the ears and the warm deep sound is just amazing. it takes some Time to get to know how to tweak for the right amount , but eventually you learn. These two beauties I bought is some serious pease of work , it sound fabulous on acoustic guitar, I tested it on a nylon crossover with cutaway,( not a guitar with the biggest sound but for fast playing) it sounded way bigger than in real life, so I was very surprised with the outcome In a very positive way. Im not a natural borne singer in any way, but I find It more than tolerable, in fact it really shines on my voice, together with the SA 47 it just sound more than amazing, I have a hard time finding anything negative about the sound of these preamps in that shot time I have had the pleasure of testing them out.

I have not ben able to test it against any original, nev’ish or other high end clone, but no need to either, it just sounds a it should, to me this is heaven sound wise. I am a very happy owner of these two beautiful work horses.

The built quality

What is there to say, it is solidly build and beautiful to look at, the four white lefties button with 48V, Pol, EQ, and Hi-z is in a very good quality the push buttons feel firm and not flimsy, I like the fact that they each have a red light that shows what is engage or not, only wish is they lit up equally with the on/off switch on the far right of the unit, but it is a minor issue.
The Eq Section - The button are very firm to tweak as they should be, if there is a little wist but not a must, is if they could have been closer to the front panel and not poke as much as they do, but all in all, is is a solid piece of gold sitting im by rack. I rate this a five star and will never have another owner the me.

One wish for all of Stam’s great gear would be a Plugin with no other funktion than to show what kind of setting each track was recorded with, given the hardware that where used, in this case the 1073eq
I do not know what else to call this than a hollow plugin.

It would be so much easier for workflow, and a better deal for us and for Stam Audio.

Stams take on a Neve 1073 Eq is a serious piece of Birdy Nam Nam.

27th August 2019

Stam Audio SA-1073EQ by thesleepywest

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ

If your passion for superb quality gear at an affordable price is equal to your patience and ability to wait many months between pre-order and receiving your product, then Stam Audio is the way to go!

This 1073EQ (I got the Sowter input transformer) sounds amazing. I've only spent a few hours with it, but after trying it out on vocal and acoustic guitar with a few different microphones, I am more than pleased. I also have the Stam Audio SA-73 single channel pre with the Carnhill input transformer. It used to be my favorite pre but now the 1073EQ takes the gold medal. The Sowter transformer is darker, more vintage sounding than the Carnhill, and has more low end. The EQ section opens up so many more sonic possibilities. I can't wait to spend more time with this thing and conjure up some beautiful sounds!

I will also add some more praise for Stam in general. Like I said, you have to be patient. They are a small, growing company with high demand for their products. You need to abandon the Amazon Prime / on demand mind set in order to be a customer, but it's worth it.

I was so excited to plug it in as soon as it arrived, I forgot that about the 115/230 voltage switch in the back. I'm in the US, so the unit being set to 230 meant that the EQ section wouldn't engage when the button was selected. Not realizing this, I emailed Stam support about. Within an hour, I got responses from Joshua, Camila, and Vicente. They were very kind and didn't make me feel foolish about the voltage, even though I was a little embarrassed.

There's only one thing that would make this 1073EQ better, and that would be owning a second one!

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-1073EQ-18881a3b-70af-41fc-99ea-3cbe3a555e41.jpg   Stam Audio SA-1073EQ-289e31f0-0bc7-4e6b-bf73-7aa2bb555b7c.jpg  

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search