The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oberheim Matrix-1000

Oberheim Matrix-1000

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

my massive &warm sounding analog 6 voice polyphonic modulation monster from 1987!

3 weeks ago

Oberheim Matrix-1000 by volcarock

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Oberheim Matrix-1000

I bought my Black Matrix 1000 as a counterpart to my beloved Juno 60 a week ago. The 6-voice polyphonic rack synthesizer sounds incredibly large, analog and wide, even without FX. I love the overall warm sound. It is the opposite of some harsh-sounding modern synths (I sent the Korg Minilogue back).

Adding delay, reverb or modulation effects turns the matrix into an epic analog pad, brass & string machine. For that I mainly use it. But it's also great for bass, leads, FM, FX and all other kinda analog sounds. Especially with the MOD matrix it is so easy to create very organic sounds.
And even if the attack time and the LFOs are not the fastest, they are fast enough for me.

Here is a quick demo I made:

When I bought it, firmware was 1.11, so I did an Eprom upgrade to 1.20 (Tauntek / Rob Grieb), where many bugfixes were fixed and the matrix can now be easily used with a MIDI controller. The Eprom also includes the important global detune of Gigli v. 1.6. With this upgrade, the Matrix 1000 no longer sounds static, the DCOs behave more like VCO.

Without an external controller, the matrix 1000 is more or less an analog preset machine because no editing is possible.
the real fun begins with controllers.
I tweak the Obeheim Matrix 1000 with my stereoping controller. Of course, you can also use software to tweak, but I prefer real buttons.

For me it is the perfect sounding analog poly! for 500 euros / 570 USD it is still relatively cheap for a vintage analog 6-voice polyphonic.
And I already think about a second one for stereo operations or 12-voice polyphony :-)

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Oberheim Matrix-1000
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search