The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alesis Monitor Two

Alesis Monitor Two

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Alesis Monitor Twos were sold through the late 1990s and were then discontinued. Three-way passive monitors with bass ports in the back, they are large near-field monitors with 4 ohm resistance and, for the era, solid sensitivity, neutral character and low-end response (35Hz to 18KHz).

13th January 2019

Alesis Monitor Two by pkward88

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Alesis Monitor Two

I have worked on high-end monitors and midrange monitors (from Tannoy to JBL). When I purchased Alesis Monitor Twos with a Hafler Transnova P1500 amp in in the late 1990s, I felt they were a good pairing, but my room was not ideally set up to truly put them through their paces.

After moving to LA and then back to DC, and now to Portland, bringing the Monitor Twos with me each time, I have now set up a very solid control room and studio, and have replaced the Hafler with a Crown XLS DriveCore 2 1002, which is well-suited to the Monitor Twos (150W program, 200W peak rating on the monitors).

The real test of any monitor, indeed, requires a decent room. And in a decent room, these monitors do very well. They roll at 18K, which is fine for most program material, however, newer powered monitors probably reproduce harmonics in this "inaudible" range that may be preferred by some engineers.

I find the low end to be tight, not squishy, and sound reproduction on all genres seems clear and largely uncolored. Since switching to the Crown amp after a Hafler amp, I perceive slightly more presence in the 1K-4K range, but it is clear and clean, not abrasive.

While these are pitched as near fields, I would not hesitate to drive them a little harder and set them farther away if I had a larger room, to get a little more alignment out of the three-way setup.

I endorse them -- if you find them used in good shape, find some spare parts, set them up in a good room, and you'll be very happy.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Alesis Monitor Two
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search