The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Want to make a killer record? This'll help.

4 days ago

Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record by Arthur Stone

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

Sometimes in life we just need some honest and plainly-spoken advice. Good advice with practical examples we can relate to. Of course it helps if the advice is sugar-coated with subtle humour even moreso with precious anecdotes from the 'front-line' of audio recording.

Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record-mixerman1b.png

Mixerman, Eric Sarafin, teaches without being teacherly (is that even a word?); he warns us of the dangers for ego, watch, and wallet but still makes it smell like peppermint or Mazar-i-Sharif, if that's your bag.

If you prefer a start-to-finish, stream-of-consciousness travelogue through the zany world of modern American recording then dive into one of Mixerman's freely available audio books or even buy a hard copy.
Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record-mixerman1d.png
This book, Musicians Survival Guide to a Killer Record, is more common-sense reference than studio ethnology (like the Mixerman Diaries). It's light reading and properly referenced with useful titles that allow one to dip in and out at leisure. Just the type of book that would be heavily read by a visiting guitarist or vocalist or keyboardist or anyone with any question about recording. This is the perfect audio 'waiting-room' book and every studio (and home studio) should have one; but it's much more useful than something to just pass time with.

Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record-mixerman1a.png

MSGTAKR is primarily aimed at a person with a basic music education and whose intention is to make 'a killer record” - a noble aim. Mixerman covers all the areas that combine to make the killer record happen: the gear; the production psychology; music theory; the money; personal responsibility; what to expect from other people.

It was even an interesting and educational read for myself who has a medium knowledge of the material Mixerman covers. I learnt new ways to think about what I already knew (and it was good to have my knowledge validated) and also learnt about stuff that I didn't even know I should know; common-sense stuff I didn't know existed and had bearing on my audio journey.

Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record-mixerman1e.png

It's a great book for starters - people with a basic knowledge of terms - but also something I think every gearslut will appreciate: a unique perspective informed by working knowledge in the industry and the pitfalls that can be avoided.

There's a good deal of time-saving and wisdom for the book cost and, with care, it'll last a lifetime...probably.

Attached Thumbnails
Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record-mixerman1a.png   Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record-mixerman1e.png   Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record-mixerman1b.png   Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record-mixerman1d.png  

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Mixerman Musicians Survival Guide To A Killer Record
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search