The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIDIMAN Oxygen 8

MIDIMAN Oxygen 8

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Best-in-class at the time, with a build quality better than today's MIDI keyboards.

17th October 2018

MIDIMAN Oxygen 8 by yellowmix

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75
MIDIMAN Oxygen 8

Mine lasted for 15 years before the pitch potentiometer went, so I didn't bother fixing it, though it is relatively straightforward if you're handy. It survived a good amount of abuse, but I never dropped it.

Small, light, portable, ran on AC, batteries, or USB bus power, it innovated a lot of common features in today's MIDI keyboards. Velocity-sensitive, full-size, synth-action keys responded well. The pitch and mod wheels sat above the keys, which could be weird to play, but it made it compact enough to fit in a 2U.

8 rotary knobs could be assigned to any CC and channel. A slider helps to quickly select values. Driver support was solid through seven years before it was made legacy. The last driver is for Windows 7 but works on Windows 10.

It was good bang for the buck back in the day. Over 15 years I effectively bought it for $12/year. If you're on a budget this would be a good choice to pick up from ebay or the like.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search