The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sterling Audio MX8

Sterling Audio MX8

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Surprisingly decent monitors for the price

30th August 2018

Sterling Audio MX8 by Ajax Lepinski

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Sterling Audio MX8

I hooked up my new, Sterling MX8's last night and they actually sound pretty good.
Sterling makes their monitors in China and the fact that they are owned by Guitar Center doesn't bother me at all.

I used JBL 4312's for years and sold them off, a while back, along with my old analog studio gear.
These days, I record at home (Mac & PT10), making and selling my band's recordings and mucking about.
Since 2013, I've been using headphones and Mackie 3" monitors so, when Musician's Friend had a Stupid Deal of the Day sale on MX8's for $200 a pair, I couldn't pass them up.

The MDF housing is coated with some kind of space age plastic so, you can't see any joinery seams and the front panel is plastic. They look nice and feel solid.

Sterling advertises the MX8's as having a frequency range of 37 Hz-22 kHz. First thing I did was to run a 20Hz to 20,000kHZ tone sweep; the monitors started producing sound at about 30HZ and reached full volume at about 40Hz. I discovered that I can't hear anything about 15kHZ! LOL!
Then, I listened to some tracks from Dark Side of the Moon and Queen's Night at the Opera.... everything sounded very clear, with a wide, unblemished range of tone.
Finally, I listened to a few recordings that I made.

I really can't complain about these monitors.
I can easily afford Yamaha HS8's, Adams or Genelec but, I was really curious and I wanted a pair of 8" monitors... so, I pulled the trigger.
It was a pleasant surprise to find out that this was the best $200 that I have spent in a long time! (Although, that $200 hooker in Reno was a pretty good deal too!)

I debated giving these monitors only 3 stars (for Sound Quality) because, I don't believe anyone would take me seriously if I gave them 4 stars. But, for 8" bi-amped, active monitors, they really deserve 4 stars so, let the haters hate!

My only criticism is that, I wish the volume knobs were on the front... not that it's necessary for anything other than turning the volume off before powering down.

Even if you're not on a budget, I can comfortably recommend Sterling MX8's.
Bonus: you won't have to convince yourself that you did the right thing by spending too much on monitors.

Last edited by Ajax Lepinski; 30th August 2018 at 07:12 PM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Sterling Audio MX8
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search