The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland FP-30

3.25 3.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Roland's new budget friendly digital piano

21st August 2018

by jenski

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25

I gues this machine is all about (well for me at least) the playing feel and not so much the sound.

So about that feel.
These hamer keys are heavy! I come from light synths and probably the heavyst keys that I have are a Korg 01/w so these are a workout. Don't get me wrong, this is precisely what I wanted. I was looking for a nice piano feel without breaking the budget and these heavy keys really allow for some delicate playing but my finger muscles are pretty sore now after 2 weeks (try playing Toxicity by vkgoeswild

About the sound.
I'm not to impressed by the onboard selection of sounds. They sound good and have a Ronland'ish colour but I would've liked to see a proper rhodes sound instead of these 90's epiano sounds. Also I'm not to impressed by Rolands choice of reverb but again that's totally a personal preference. That being said, sounds aren't a problem because I've got tons of vst stuff on my DAW and so hooking it up through midi is a thing. This works with bluetooth and it simply works as it should. Judging by feel I'd say the mididelay is well under 12 mS so thats good enough.
The onboard speakers are pretty decent (don't crank em up to max tho) but I primarily use a good headphone (DT770) late at night and I'm still in love with the quality of the sound. Letting a grand piano 9th chord sustain and listening to those resonancies simply sounds awesome.

Build quality.
Is awesome I think. These keys look like they can take a punishment. The function buttons are a delicate affair tho. I'd suggest to be really carefull with those.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Roland FP-30
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search