The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Fireface UFX II
4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The Fireface UFX II offers excellent flexibility that enables the interface to fit seamlessly into a myriad of production environments. Analog, ADAT, AES, SPDIF, and USB 2 are all standard on the Fireface UFX II. Equally impressive is the unit’s channel count: 12 analog, 16 ADAT, and 2 AES for 30 ch

15th July 2018

RME Fireface UFX II by hello people

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
RME Fireface UFX II

I upgraded to the Fireface UFX II after using the RME Fireface UC for 7 or so years. The UC never missed a beat, as they say, and performed flawlessly with every use.

The Fireface UFX II offers way more i/o, 2 headphone outs, Totalmix FX and many other features such as non-DAW straight to USB recording.

It's built like a tank, the preamps sound good (though I won't really be using them since I connect a UA LA610 mk ii and a Grace m101 as preamps), latency is great and in operation, like the RME Fireface UC, it works without issue.

RME is renowned for great quality, clean ADDA, solid preamps and reliability.

It cost a few pennies, but if it works like the UC did, year after year, it'll be well worth it.

If you're lucky enough to be able to afford it, get it.

15th January 2021

RME Fireface UFX II by oboe

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
RME Fireface UFX II

First of all: my rating does NOT say, that this interface is bad! It is excellent. But in some categories, there are some interfaces performing better, and that ones are defining the scale.

This is an incredible interface, which I recommend to everybody and would buy it again.

So here are my main points:

a) ++ stable as hell
b) ++ redundant recording possible
c) ++ easy and all-you-need-DSP mixer
d) ++ standalone use possible
e) ++ product support
f) ++ wide frequ range

h) + amount of connectivity
i) + FX on board
j) + gain range

k) * preamp/converter sound

l) - sensitive to USB cable
m) - expensive
n) - no protocol over time for preamps

o) -- DUREC (USB-recording) is very sensitive to plugged device (many do not work)

long description:

a/b) stable as hell, redundant recording:
I had never problems while running this device. It has a standalone USB-recording option, which you can use in parrallel to DAW recording. Even if you unplug any (USB-device or DAW-PC): the other recording runs without glitches.
Very impressive.

c) easy and all-you-need-DSP mixer
I also own 2 Focusrite devices, I owened a Antelope. No interface had such a good everything-to-everything Mixer. The Controlpanel is intuitive, easy to use and I don't miss any feature.

d) standalone use possible
That is important, if I am working as a FOH-engineer: just configure by notebook, but if Windows is lacking: the interface is running as configured.

e) product support
driver? No problem. Driver for an old product? No problem. That is really great at RME, I never see that at other manufacturers.

f) wide frequ range
sounds silly? No, it isn't, if you're using the interface for measuring purposes at infra- or ultrasonics. Look at the data-sheet: there are not very much manufacturers, that define a frequency range beside the hearing range. Also helpful, if you're doing sound design.

h) amount of connectivity
ok, my fault. The UFX II+ has more. With 2 ADAT, 2 AES/SPDIF, 8 Line and 4 Mic Ins, there are plenty of possibilitys. I run out of my physical analog outputs, because I use the interface as frequency divider and loudspeaker management system. There are many interfaces offering more I/Os, but also RME does: if you put the money on the table, as every other manufacturer. If I could wish everything: please add also Dante to the UFX ;-)

i) FX on board
Not very much and not incredible sounding, but bread&butter: Comp, Reverb, ... Antelope is definitly better at that. But sucks at stability/software support and flexibility.

j) gain range
ok, with 75 dB you've everything you need. But - also as other manufacturers - you should not use the last 15 dB.

k) preamp/converter sound
look point above. Even in same class, I like Antelope-sound more, Focusrite less. So it is solid and usable, but there are some more earcandy-like-preamps out there. Only 4 mic-preamps is sadly low.

l) sensitive to USB cable
It only works with high-end USB-cables. I've never had issues with that before with any other interface (similar channel amount). But if you know that, you have some in stock.

m) expensive
The "bang for buck" criteria: this interface is incredible and has a good support. That costs some money. Other manufacturers are selling for incredible small money huge channel amount interfaces, but do not have such a reliable product. Is that the money worth? Seems so, I bought it.

n) no protocol over time for preamps
Would be nice to make it class-2-able, e.g. for a good DIN 15905-5 measurement.

o) DUREC (USB-recording) is very sensitive to plugged device (many do not work)
That really sucks and annoys. So if you have found one, that works: mark it, glue it to the interface, because you definitly can not use any stick/SSD/SD-card-reader (yes I tried different soulutions to make it work). But if its working with good performance at beginning: it runs to the end. Nice feature, but would be nice if I just could use any stick. It is not a question of bandwitdth, I didn't see a pattern behind...