ICON iKeyboard 6 by TwilightBiscuit
icon iKeyboard 6x
As I was setting up my new studio I was looking for a quite light yet versatile midi keyboard. After some consultation with the Thomann support I decided to try the icon iKeyboard 6x. There were almost no reviews so it was more like a shot in the dark.
The keyboard came well packaged and wrapped in thin foam and the keys themselves were coverd with a self adhesive foil.
The weight is in my opinion perfect, not too heavy not too light. It is built solidly, the controllers feel high quality. There is no rattling or clanking when pushing the buttons and keys firmly.
The installation is really just plug and play. Within literally minutes I was able to use all the functions. The importat thing is that you activate the HUI/ Mackie protocol in your DAW. Thus all buttons and pot will be assigned automatically. I work on Cubcase Pro 9.5.1 and again: no problems. Play, Stop, Rewind, Loop, Record....all the buttons work as they should and are a real time saver.
- HUI/ Mackie Protocol
- Presets for all major DAWs namely Cubase, Nuendo, Logic --- Pro, Pro Tools, Ableton Live, Samplitude and Studio One
- high quality haptics
- backlit buttons
- works bus powered and with power cable
- price-performance ratio more than just ok
- I find the appearance quite appealing
- if you turn on the keyboard after booting your DAW the protocol will not be recognized. You can use it but the controllers are not assigned to their functions. You will have to turn on the keyboard first and then start the DAW
- „only“ eight channels are reachable at a time. You can switch the groups of eight via the „bank“- buttons on the bottom left. You will get used to it eventually but it interrupts the workflow
- power cable has to be purchased seperately
So if you are looking for a new keyboard for just controlling your DAW you should definitely try this one out.
It is available with 25/37/49/61 keys. You can also chose whether you want just the keyboard without the controllers, the one we just reviewed here or the version with a built in USB interface.
I've been using it for about two months now and so far I am very pleased with it and looking forward to working with it.
- 149,- EUR
- 61 touch-sensitive keys
- compatible with Mackie Control and HUI protocols
- Encoder button with dual function
- 3-segment LED screen
- 18 assignable LED illuminated buttons
- 6 illuminated transport buttons
- Pitch and modulation wheel
- Metal case with Kensington lock port
- Connections: MIDI Out, USB, Expression and Sustain Pedal
- System requirements: Class-Compliant with Windows 7, 8 and 10 (32 and 64 bit), Mac OS X (IntelMac) and iOS
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 1025 x 189 x 74 mm
- Weight: 4.8 kg
- incl. iMap software for easy mapping of MIDI functions
What was in the package:
- iKeyboard 6x
- CD x 1
App software – iMap ( Mac & Windows )
User manual & QSG
DAW software – Samplitude 11 silver ICON edition
- Quick Start Guide x 1
- USB 2.0 cable x 1