The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid Mbox 3

Avid Mbox 3

1.65 1.65 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Do yourself a favour and pick up a wax cylinder. It'll sound better and be easier to use.

16th June 2018

Avid Mbox 3 by Hammer v2

• Sound Quality 1 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 2 out of 5
  • Bang for buck N/A
  • Overall: 1.25
Avid Mbox 3

I was given one of these a few weeks ago as I'm putting together a small personal studio together for podcast work.

It's built well, has win7 and win10 drivers and is AVID (I use protools) so I figured it would be fine and get the job done without too much fuss.

I wasn't expecting unbelievable converters or anything..but then again, all I want to record here is podcasts.

Now, to be fair it's 2018 and these things are now 4-5 years old, that being said there's no way to rewind time and if you're just about to pull the plug and score a "bargain" Avid interface...for the love of all things holy...don't do it. Don't even think about it because recording even 1 simple voice-over take is just about impossible with this digital migrane machine.

If it's not the drivers dropping in and out every now and again it's the incessant buzz coming from the device. Even when nothing is plugged in.

Admittedly it's not a very loud buzz, but its juuuuust enough to ruin pretty much anything you care to record. It'd be a bit like if you drew a tiny penis on the Mona Lisa. It's only a small penis but it's juuust enough to ruin it....

If you'd like an audio interface that will hinder your sessions, or you have a fascination with tiny penises on priceless works of art - then this is the interface for you.

For everyone else who just wants to get the job done....AVOID.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Avid Mbox 3
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search