The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lucas CS-1

Lucas CS-1

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great and unique microphone. Incredible reach, depth and detail. Very natural sounding, great presentation. Very defined sound source with a sweet halo around it. Clean with a lot of character. Can sound strangely bright in some situations. But most of the time, this issue is not present at allI.

2 weeks ago

Lucas CS-1 by Rumi

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Lucas CS-1

I use a pair for stereo recordings. They sound incredible as drum room mics, on any acoustic instrument, and also as room mics for example for electric guitar etc.

Voice is hit or miss (as is often the case).

As an example, a mandolin sounded just incredible through the CS-1. I have never heard such a sweet yet defined recording of a mandolin. The Schoeps Mk4 that was next to the CS-1 sounded like the usual SDC: piercing and annoying point source. The CS-1 presented the mandolin in a clearer and more detailed and defined way, but totally relaxed, and its sound was like a halo around the space where the mandolin dwelled. I put that Schoeps away.

Some people have complained about the mic being too bright. I have had that phenomena on some rare occasions. I haven't found out so far when and why the unnatural sounding highs can appear. If they do, it sounds like some strangely saturated highs. This happened on femal voice once, and also a few times on a steel string guitar. In that case, put the mic somewhere else, or use a different mic. In all the cases where this issue is not present, the frequency plot of the mic is just great, and "natural sounding" is an attribute that immediately comes up.

I would say that the CS-1 is more universal and stunning sounding than my Wagner U47w, and most other mics (the Josephson C700S being an exception).

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Lucas CS-1
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search