The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fluid Audio FPX7
5 5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Exactly what I was looking for in smaller studio and live mix recording review monitors on $1,000 budget.

2nd May 2018

Fluid Audio FPX7 by senny

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Fluid Audio FPX7

First things first, I've had these monitors for about six months.
They replaced my very first pair of 'studio' monitors, the Behringer 3030A.
I am, first and foremost, a live sound guy. I mix mainly for modern Christian churches and conferences.
My main purpose for these is to review my own mixes to see what I can improve on, on a weekly basis. There are rare occasions where I'm putting together a rough EP of a newly written song, but nothing mastering grade.

These were up against the Presonus R65 and R80 line.
I've always leant toward ribbon tweeters because I have the privilege of mixing on high-end d&b audiotechnik and L'acoustic systems which have impeccably clean highs for systems of their size & capacity. Picking out every detail in that range is quite important for me, something which I couldn't get with the Sceptres, though I liked their cohesiveness.

When I AB(C?)-ed the three, the Presonus R80s seemed a little stretched in the mid-range. It was deep and clear, but a little empty in the middle. Vocals being so critical for my application, it was the first to go.
The R65 seemed to have more attack and better punch than the FPX7, but seemed a little too much bite, which in turn caused more fatigue, though the difference was ever so slight.

But what really won me was the wide sweet spot of the FPX7. It sounded clear, accurate and cohesive on-and-off axis, side to side, up and down. I had to dart around a little for the R65 and could hear it shift and skew in comparison to the FPX7s.
Since I set them up, the FPX7s haven't had to be adjusted or repositioned because they're so forgiving with placement.

The auto-mute function works well. Even when unmuted, the monitor is almost noiseless up to less than 10cm away.

These run loud. FoH mixes are up to 105dB-A peak slow for some conferences. These match that.

Definitely keen on the sub soon, since some systems I mix go down to 30Hz.

Very happy customer, would definitely recommend.

26th November 2020

Fluid Audio FPX7 by wjmwpg

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Fluid Audio FPX7

I’ve had a bunch of low-to-midrange studio monitors over the years (M-Audio, KRK, Yamaha, etc.) but with a well treated room I made it work. When it came time to upgrade I was fortunate to have a buddy at my local music store who let me demo a bunch of their floor display models in my studio (Genelecs, Focals, Adams, etc.). Listening to my reference tracks through the Genelecs 8050B's was a real revelation. I wanted to pull the trigger on the Genelec 8050B's but was having a tough time swallowing the price . . . time passed and then some months later I came across these Fluid Audio FPX7’s online ... it might have been the SOS article, I truly don’t remember. I did some more research and something in my gut just told me to take a chance on them - so I did. I figured I could always return them if I wasn't happy with them. I was worried after my time with the Genelecs that anything else cheaper would be a real disappointment.

The FPX7's arrived and right away I was worried that they were damaged (the shipping box looked pretty beat up) as I could detect a faint distortion through them. Nothing was quite "round", as if there was a very subtle parallel bitcrushing or clipping or distortion of some kind going on. It was extremely subtle, but it was there.

Before sending them back to B&H I decided to contact Fluid Audio about it. They responded immediately and were very helpful - this is something I really prize in a company. Long-story-short, it turned out to be an issue in my system - something between CoreAudio, my interface, drivers, yada-yada, that isn't worth going into detail about here - it was not the monitors! But it was an issue that had likely been present for awhile that I had not noticed with my previous monitors, but that I noticed in about 3 seconds on the FPX7's. That's saying something about the clarity of the detail revealed with these babies.

With that sound issue sorted I settled back to listen to those reference tracks that I know inside and out. I was stunned. I actually got a little misty-eyed. That sounds insane, but hearing some of my favourite music revealed with such precision (without being at all harsh) really made my day - like hearing them again for the first time. No part of me still wished I had the money for the Genelecs.

After getting over the detail, what really struck me with the FPX7's was the clarity of the image. I've never experienced a phantom centre like this before. I had been hoping to get the clear-as-day detail and even, truthful response of more expensive monitors, but I hadn't thought about the imaging until I heard these.

It's a year later and I'm still in love with them. Every now and then when I have another engineer buddy over to my studio I'll cue up one of their favourite reference tracks and tell them to close their eyes while listening. More than once the response has been "Holy fff..."

So hats off the Fluid Audio. I hope these monitors start getting the attention they deserve.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search