The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland Boutique Series JU-06

3.25 3.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A simple way to achieve Juno-106’s sound - or kind of.

1 week ago

Roland Boutique Series JU-06 by cr73645

• Sound Quality 3 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25

This is probably the most sought after Boutique from the original batch. It is actually a good-ish VA and decent simulation of the original for such a small module.

Hardware:
Small unit, with good sliders, average buttons, metal front plate. The illuminated sliders look good, and have a decent size to allow some fine tweaking of the parameters. The 1/8 jacks are simply ridiculous, as is the plastic bottom.

Oscillators:
They have a nice overall sound and PWM is actually good for a VA. The bass is good, but you loose a lot of harmonics in the upper registers.

Filter:
Beautiful tones, and to my ears in the same territory of the original. Doesn’t seem to step when using envelope or LFO to sweep it.

Envelope and LFO:
Simple ADSR that goes for amp and filter, snappy when you want it, not the fastest. The same goes for the LFO, very simple.

Chorus:
Very well emulated, kind of noisy with the original settings (more than on the Juno) but can be controlled. It makes aliasing much more perceptible on higher notes.

Overall sound quality:
At first, I thought that it sounded great, and maybe just as good as some analog synths. After some time you start to listen its limitations and brutal aliasing with the Chorus - which also creates aliasing by itself. Yes, it can sound like a Juno on the safe zones, but I founded myself so limited in note range that it started to really annoy me.

In the end, I’d say it sounds good, but you have to adapt your sounds to things that it actually can do. High resonance sweeps alias as f***, so keep your levels down.

Sound demos:
Teste JU-06.mp3 - Google Drive
YouTube

Aliasing: JU-06 Noise.wav - Google Drive

I’d recommend it to someone that wishes to get some kind of Juno-y sound at low cost, but I’d certainly say that any Alpha Juno sound way better. The free TAL Chorus can get you some Juno-y sounds with your own synth - it’s what I’m currently using.

Last edited by cr73645; 1 week ago at 05:39 PM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Roland Boutique Series JU-06
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search