The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio-Scape 76a 1176 Revision A

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

1176 Revision A compressor.

8th April 2018

Audio-Scape 76a 1176 Revision A by Coldsnow

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I’ve always wanted to try an 1176 revision a compressor, but not interested in paying the 5k an original goes for. I’ve not had the pleasure of using a vintage 1176 but have used and owned UA, Purple, Warm, and a revive modified Klark Teknik.
I can say that none have been as impressive as the Audio Scape 76a. Putting a vocal through it just makes it sound right. It has a sweetness to it that the others I’ve had do not have. Its build is very sturdy, has the Cinemag UTC 012 replica transformer, and hand made in the US. The Warm does not use this high end transformer in theirs.
This is currently my favorite piece of gear that would be the first thing I would replace. The price is too good to be true but it is, and it arrived 2 days after I ordered it.

5th August 2018

Audio-Scape 76a 1176 Revision A by Luca S.

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I was in search of a new 1176 clone after purchasing a Klark Teknik 1176 (a great clone for Rev D & E.) However, I wanted a Rev A and I stumbled upon three companies who make one: Stam Audio, Hairball, and Audio-Scape.

I decided to go for the Audio-Scape because of everyone said the owner, Chris Yetter, was an amazing guy. And yes he is!!! I emailed him asking many questions about his 76A (specs, audio examples, etc.) and he answered them perfectly and very fast. The price is perfect at $700 and free shipping in the U.S. Amazing! So let's talk about the unit.

First of all, the build is fantastic. Heavy(ish), sturdy, and well-built. Chris even hand builds his units. To quote him, he "puts a lot of love into these units." The silverface is very sleek, the knobs are sturdy, and the buttons just feel "right." The famous Blue Stripe doesn't seem prone to chipping and is very sexy. The VU meter is beautiful, especially with a little "Audio Scape Engineering" tag on it. But how does it sound??

Aggressive, grabby, transparent, crunchy, distorted, and everything in between. Honestly, you can do everything with this compressor. Works amazing on vocals, both tracking & mixing. My favorite vocal setting is the Dr. Pepper setting (Attack at 3, Release at 5, Ratio 4:1) But any setting could work. The 12:1 ratio can really smooth out a vocal. The All-In-Buttons mode is CRAZY. On a snare, it absolutely kills. It brings out all the harmonic goodness that the Rev A is famous for. On bass, it is a monster. Seriously, even turning the compressor off and letting audio run though it makes it sound better.

If you're looking for a Rev A but really don't want to spend $10,000 on a vintage unit, then grab this one. This is by far the best 1176 clone out on the market. Chris is an actual wizard and this compressor will bring your tracks life. Thanks, Chris!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Audio-Scape 76a 1176 Revision A
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search