The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot Sound MM45 MicroMain45

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Peace of Mind

18th March 2018

Barefoot Sound MM45 MicroMain45 by JonnBoy

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I spent years on the typical upgrade journey of someone developing their skillset in the world of pro audio. Slowly upgrading to better and better monitors, in search of that one monitor that would offer me peace of mind on it's translation across the entire audio spectrum.

Nothing ever quite fit my venn-diagram of frequency response, voicing, performance, size, flexibility, translation, etc. For years I toiled away, getting good to great mixes, but always having to deal with the occasional surprise when I pulled up a mix outside of my mixing room. Things like a too harsh snare, too much low-mid on a rhodes, or some stray sibilance on vocals. Always some issue that required revision, and sometimes compromise. I lived in the realm of good enough, rather than ideal.

Those days are now over. I haven't experienced translation quite like this before. There was a time where I would have to remember things like "if the mid range sounds like this here, then that works better on these systems" or "if the snare sounds like this here, it might hurt on these kinds of sources."

With the MM45's I can just mix without all the "compensatory strategizing" with regard to how I treat somehting in a mix. The MM45's bring a purity to my workflow that I didn't realize was achievable. I feel like I have much more control over how I can shape the sound of mixes. There's more nuance to the moves I make. They make you work harder, because you can really hear every balance flaw, every bit of over-compression, overcooked high end, or too much low-mid in the bass line.

The low frequency character on these is superb. Fast, extended farther than I would ever need, musical, and perfectly balanced. They really let you sculpt the low frequencies in subtle ways, helping achieve louder mixes without sacrificing bass impact. You can really discern where the trouble spots are coming from when you hit the ceiling on your limiter, and adjust accordingly

Mid range is just perfect. Vocals and instruments are all super easy to place and coalesce into a whole. These monitors make the performer downright tangible.

High frequencies are honest as can be. If something is harsh, you're gonna know, if something is too warm, you'll hear that as well. They really provide all the info you need to find the goldilocks zone of air, excitement, and HF energy, without harshness sneaking through.

To summarize, these translate; plain and simple. Can't sing their praises enough. I use to stalk monitor threads, looking out for the next best thing. This is the first time I don't see myself moving on for a very very long time. If you can't achieve amazing mixes on these, it's not the speakers, it's you. If you consider mixing a craft you aspire to master, and want to purchase the tools worthy of a master craftsman, give these a serious listen.

Last edited by JonnBoy; 18th March 2018 at 06:36 PM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Barefoot Sound MM45 MicroMain45
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search