The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio SA-47

Stam Audio SA-47

5 5 out of 5, based on 7 Reviews

Great tube microphone with classic tone!

20th February 2018

Stam Audio SA-47 by uffetuff

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA-47

I've been trying this mic out a bit now, and I had it over to a guy with an original U-47 and I'm very pleased after hearing them side by side. The character was essentially identical.

Sure there were some minor differences in the frequency response but I've honestly heard bigger differences between some of my microphones that are of the same brand and model.

Doesn't hurt that it comes in a flight case, plus a wooden box.

I will make some more in depth testing soon and then I will share some audio files with you too!

4th April 2018

Stam Audio SA-47 by ghiatorino

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-47

I received a Stam Audio SA-47 a few days ago and been running some tests in my lab, I own an original 1960 Neumann U-47 microphone in pristine condition and have been able to compare it directly with it.
While I need to run further tests I can say that the SA-47 truly delivers the U47 sound, the harmonic distortion figure is there, which is something I did not find in my recent in-depth review of other clones such Warm Audio WA47 and Golden Age GAP47, here's the link of my past review (in italian):

Braingasm Lab - Microfoni da studio artigianali

Unlike the WA-47 which uses a K-47 capsule and the GAP 47 which uses (or seems to) a K-67 capsule (i like the way they went for their own sound) the SA-47 is equipped with a remarkable replica of the M7 capsule (D7 from Dany Bouchard), and like the GAP 47 it features a NOS Telefunken EF800 tube, but uses a BV8R output transformer made by AMI in the USA, to me the only (rather expensive) transformer choice that delivers the true 47 nuance.

I will perform more deep tests and post results if anybody is interested in, record some singers, shoot graphs and pictures in the next couple of weeks.
For now I can say I am quite impressed as a mic builder myself with the sound and build quality delivered for this price by Stam. Thumbs up!

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA-47-braingasm_u47_neumann_stam_review.jpg  
8th June 2018

Stam Audio SA-47 by PACHAMAMA

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-47

Reseña para los miembros de Gearslutz hispano hablantes. Soy de Argentina y hace unos días tengo éste micrófono de Stam. Cómo explican en los comentarios anteriores, el micrófono viene muy bien presentado con una valija de viaje y por dentro en una caja de madera, junto con la fuente, cables, suspensión araña y un paraviento. El hardware en sí está muy bien terminado y se ve mejor en persona que en las fotos, la fuente no tiene el estilo vintage de la de la página, pero se la siente sólida. Todo el conjunto tiene un peso considerable. Yendo al sonido del micrófono, al otro día de tenerlo lo probé con una batería, detrás del baterista apuntando al redoblante y captaba un sonido balanceado, con detalles, con una presencia en medios altos y unos sorprendentes y controlados graves. Con este Mic y un Mic en el bombo, ya lograba un audio de batería terminado. Después lo probé en mí voz y tenía de nuevo, buenos graves, medios enfocados y un buen manejo de sibilancias. Lo seguiré probando en estos días, pero quería escribir ésta reseña porque el micrófono es bastante nuevo y quería dejar tranquilos a los que lo han reservado o están a punto de hacerlo. Baterías y voces es para lo que más lo quería y excede en esos apartados, seguramente debe brillar en muchas aplicaciones más. Ni hablar de la relación precio/calidad y más para los que en nuestros países es difícil y caro conseguir equipos de calidad. Altamente recomendables, gran trabajo Joshua y equipo.

22nd July 2018

Stam Audio SA-47 by seawell

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-47

This is my 4th piece of Stam Audio gear so I knew to expect high quality audio but honestly this is a whole other level. I'm floored they delivered a mic of this quality at this price point(or any price point really). The first place I put the SA-47 was out in front of a drum kit as a mono room mic and this thing sounds like it reaches an octave lower than any other mic I've used there. The low end on the kick drums was massive and it gave a nice complete sound of the whole kit.

I've tried a ton of U47 clones/remakes over the years and often times they got the low end close but the top was always muddy or just not pleasing. The top end of the SA-47 is super smooth and not sibilant at all even on energetic rock vocals. It also sounded great on acoustic guitar. My favorite U47 inspired mic has been a Flea 47 vintage for a while now. I'm shooting out the SA-47 against the Flea 47 on multiple sources and although they are different, it's like different shades of the same beautiful color. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use the SA-47 alongside or in place of the Flea 47 on any source. Congrats Stam on a killer mic!

4 weeks ago

Stam Audio SA-47 by tothemoon

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA-47

I've been recording with the Stam Audio SA-47 for the past 3 weeks. I'd like to start by saying the built quality is outstanding. The sound, simply love it. One of the first applications tested was vocals, it was pleasant sounding and sat very well in the mix. I don't have experience with an actual Neumann U47. But I have recorded vocals with many other microphones, and some did very well, but the SA47 is my new main vocal microphone. This is based in the results. After recording vocals for so long you get used to what your microphones do in a mix and how to make it work. With the SA-47 I don't have to do much, it just works, and sounds musical with texture and presence.

I also placed the SA-47 in front of a Vox AC30 guitar amp. I'm impressed with the results as well. It is smooth, and the guitar's high mids sound very balanced. It was tested with an acoustic guitar as well and again liked it, and it paired very well with some other microphones for stereo image and room sound.

I am very happy with this microphone, it makes me want to record more. Now I'm looking at the SA-67 or SA-87 for the future.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering a SA-47.

Cheers!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Stam Audio SA-47
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search