The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kush Audio Clariphonic MS

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

A great EQ with Mid and Side cut and boost control

4th February 2018

Kush Audio Clariphonic MS by CJ Mastering

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I own some expensive EQ's, so i thought this EQ was going to be redundant to me and my work flow when i got it a few days ago. I was wrong! DEAD WRONG! I noticed that in the first 30 seconds of using this unit. For just under $2K the Kush Audio Clariphonic Mid/Side 2 channel Parallel Equalizer is worth every cent paid and then some.

It gives a plush velvety high end sheen to your mix, without making it sound harsh. That is a feat in itself. This is great for processing your mix on your master bus or even using them on stems. For now in this day and age ware everyone is looking for a certain high end sheen in the upper frequency ranges, this will give it to you. Also, i will not buy an EQ without mid side processing capabilities. It gives you so much more control over the sound you want to dial in.

Anyway, i'm still messing with it as its new to my arsenal of hardware effects.

I just became a fan of Kush...

CJ Jacobson
Mastering Engineer
audio-mastering-mixing.com

6th February 2018

Kush Audio Clariphonic MS by Patrick Norton

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I had been looking at the Clariphonic for a while, so when Gregory released the Clariphonic MS I jumped on it in a heartbeat.

All the knobs are stepped, so when using it in stereo you can match the left and right channels pretty easily. This also makes recall easy whether you are using it in stereo or M/S mode.

I actually have never used it in stereo mode as I feel the mid/side mode is where this unit really shines.

It really works well in my chain/workflow which is a Rupert Neve 5059 summing mixer into an API 2500 stereo bus compressor. I typically mix on the dark side, so my mixes always need a bit of brightening in the mastering stage. I also really like the sound of the silk (blue and red) on the 5059, but when using the blue to add some low end heft to a mix, the top end definitely does well with some boost.

I don't use the cut feature very much but I'm sure I will at some point. So far, I really like to bump up the lift and the presence or sheen in the mid channel, and then on the sides I'll use the open and the shimmer or silk to add some nice sparkly highs to cymbals and panned guitars.

It's crazy how high you can boost with this unit, but I rarely land above 15-20% on a mix. I have yet to used the Clariphonic on individual channels, but I'm sure I will eventually. The parallel processing makes it a pretty unique sounding EQ.

It's super easy to dial in and often adds something you didn't realize was missing - which once you hear, is difficult to live without.

edit: I forgot to mention the M/S matrix included in the unit, which makes using other eq's/comps/processors in M/S mode super easy. WAY COOL!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Kush Audio Clariphonic MS
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search