The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nektar Panorama P1

Nektar Panorama P1

1.35 1.35 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Remote control with deep integration with certain DAW's.

4th February 2018

Nektar Panorama P1 by bace

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 1 out of 5
  • Features 1 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 2 out of 5
  • Overall: 1
Nektar Panorama P1

This devices claims to be doing deeper integration with some of the popular DAW's. I have tried this with cubase 9.5.10 and the integration is part if in OSX is done with a bundle. At the moment the version is 1.5.7.

Pros.
Not that very expensive. Lots of knobs/dollar.

Cons.
This a bit complicated... It is soft of working... partly.
It put a lot of constraints how to use cubase to be working. As all other remote they are working logicically against mixer view 1. This view is also shared with arranger window. I think this is a design flaw of Cubase more than the P1. So when you change the view of the mixer1 you also change what P1 can see. I always remove the midi tracks from mixer view 1. Now the P1 dont see the midi tracks, and you can not access your virtual instruments from P1 since the are "routed" though midi. Next problem then occurs if you have some other remote. I have 16 channels of Mackie MCU. First the P1 switches the views of MCU with change view for P1. And it changes them i groups of 8 as the MCU does. This very annoying, but it is steinberg...
What about the deeper integration. Transport section works pretty well. I dont like that you need to toggle the forward/backward buttons, but that might be some settings. But the deepness of the control is not better than other older units like steinbergs own CC121. It can handle the same EQ functions as CC121. But nothing at all of the channel functions that steinberg has added thast 3-4 years. Like the pre-gain, High-cut, low-cut or the mixer built in functions for noise-gate, compression, saturation, de-essing and limiting.
For instrument control it is very different depending on the plugin used. Quite nice when it works, but it not for many. Nothing for Kontakt and Omnisphere but ok for arturia. VST3 seems to be the difference.

Build quality:
Knobs feels OK for it's price but the casing seems to be very cheep.

Conclution
It has very high ambitions but it does not get close to them. This is not anything that I can recommend to cubase users.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Nektar Panorama P1
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search