The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U 77

Neumann U 77

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Vintage Neumann LDC

11th January 2018

Neumann U 77 by Midas

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Neumann U 77

The engineer Julian Zafra talks about one of the real models of Neumann sleepers that he acquired and added to his own collection of microphones a few years ago

I got this microphone without really knowing that model, I know that Neumann has a long catalog of microphones which are not very popular due to the few units that were manufactured at the time. The U77 was designed as the flagship mic of the Neumann F.E.T 70 series mics introduced around 1967 - 1968. At that time, 48 volt phantom power was not an established standard . To use a U77 you need a special 12 volt "T Power" supply .It also can operates with a 9v battery

One of the first thing that catches your attention is its high sensitivity as well as the high signal voltage that the U77 delivers been hotter than a U-67/U-87.

its sound is also very silky and captures in a very detailed way any sound or instrument shot that is placed in front of it. sincerely it is a microphone so versatile that it can be used so much in voices, instruments or as of sub kick drum, also it shines as a room mic.

its price can vary, currently ranging from 2,500e to 8,000e (depending always on the love or despair of its seller)

under my opinion the U77 has a tighter and extended bottom end and a more open top than a U87. Compared to a U67, the U77 is not as dark. Being solid state, it lacks some of the "creaminess" of the U67 but has greater clarity, lower noise, more punch, and is easily one-half or less the cost of a similar vintage U67. It has the three polar patterns typical of the large membrane microphones, Cardiod, Bidirectional and omnidirectional as well as roll off filter and pad attenuator. n the first production that I used, I ended up using it for all the voices as well as a large part of the instruments, I really liked the result obtained with the flutes. A very underrated workhorse mic without any doubt.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Neumann U 77
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search