The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ATC Loudspeakers SCM12 Pro - Pair

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Fantastic quality, affordable monitoring.

7th January 2018

ATC Loudspeakers SCM12 Pro - Pair by watersedge1234

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.75

This is a review for my pair of ATC SCM12 Pro monitors.

I've been through a few monitors in my space. Monitors I've previously owned include -

JBL 305P
JBL 708P
Amphion Two15

I've also listened to quite a few others but have decided to keep the SCM12s for numerous reasons.

The SCM12s are, for me, a very natural sounding speaker that provides excellent accuracy/imaging. The JBLs suffered in my space due to porting and size and, while the Amphions sounded fantastic, proved to be a bit too tall to place properly in my small room.

I love the 12s. Fast and accurate with enough push to satisfy clients. Small form factor perfect for smaller spaces. Affordable and *relatively* easy to power. I have my pair fed through a Jim Williams modded Adcom GFA 555.

The downfall of these boxes, as with most sealed boxes, is a higher roll-off point for low frequency information. The low-end information is there, but roll-off begins around 90 hz. In my space, 40 hz ends up around -12 db. For this reason I've chosen to supplement with subs.

Attached are measurements (subtle boundary correction) with subs. I apparently didn't log a trace not including the subs, my apologies. Subs are a pair of JBL 310s.

Listening chain -
Lynx Hilo, AES out
AES in to MiniDSP 888 (all digital), AES out
AES in to Lynx Aurora, analog out to GFA 555

Pleasantly surprised with these speakers. Definitely worth a look if you are not adverse to passive models. Bi-wireable, but I am not seeing significant time concerns between mid/high in my testing that warrants a need for time correction via bi-wiring - crossover is centered at 2.2 and, if there was a significant phase issue, the red line in the measurement window would indicate this (the red line corresponds with the coherence percentage of the measurement, meaning higher the red line the more accurate the reading). Also note the phase trace is skewed due to not updating the FFT time delay after time alignment, but the frequency/coherence magnitude graph is still applicable.

This is a serious speaker, not just the "cheap" ATC.

Attached Thumbnails
ATC Loudspeakers SCM12 Pro - Pair-screen-shot-2018-01-07-4.51.53-pm.jpg  
Last edited by watersedge1234; 11th January 2018 at 10:21 PM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... ATC Loudspeakers SCM12 Pro - Pair
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search