The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite ISA One with ISA A/D Option Card

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Single channel pro quality mic preamp that's ideal for voice over

10th December 2017

Focusrite ISA One with ISA A/D Option Card by RichC

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I've owned my Focusrite ISA One Mic pre for almost 6 years now and in that time it's been my go-to preamp in my voiceover studio. It's great with my Neumann TLM 102 and Aston Spirit, but really has come in to it's own since buying my Neumann U87ai. It has a lovely smoothing effect. The sound is clean and transparent but with a nice hint of transformer warmth. It's low noise and has lots and lots of clean gain. I love it's powerful headphone amp and whilst subtle, the impedance switching allows tonal adjustment. The second input channel is great for voice artists using isdn as you can input your codec to it and monitor yourself on Mic and your isdn feed simultaneously.
I have the optional AD card which is subjectively excellent and connects perfectly via spdif to my Audient id22 interface, giving me an extra 2 inputs to my system.
The ISA One feels well built with positive action of the knobs and buttons. The only failure I've experienced has been the VU meter lamp expiring. This is an incandescent bulb rather than an LED so I guess has a more finite life. It can be fixed with a replacement VU meter, which is fairly inexpensive from Focusrite, but as the meter itself still works and I tend to refer to the unit's LED meters anyway I haven't replaced it.
The ISA sounds great in most shootouts you hear and it's a class act for VO.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Focusrite ISA One with ISA A/D Option Card
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search