The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ferrofish Pulse16

Ferrofish Pulse16

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Incredible converter which is well build and has very neutral sounding converters. Adding 16 inputs and 16 outputs for less then 1000 EUR is a no-brainer!

29th September 2017

Ferrofish Pulse16 by Ian Mono

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Ferrofish Pulse16

This is my first review on Gearslutz. I'm normally the guy who lurks reviews, but never writes them. I felt I needed to give the Ferrofish Pulse16 a review because it's such an amazing piece of hardware. I hope this review helps future buyers. Take into account that I'm not a native English speaker or an expert in reviewing audio gear. If there is anything missing or you want to have tested, leave message and I can definitely add this.

Why I bought it?
I'm using a lot of outboard gear like reverbs, delays and Eurorack modules for my electronic music productions. I already owned a RME 802 which serves me really well but has very limited amount of jack input and outputs. Luckily the device had 4 ADAT ports so I started searching for an expansion to add as much inputs and outputs to my setup as possible. RME offered some options, but were really limited (like the RME ADI-8).

I stumbled upon Ferrofish and the news they were about to release a new product which basically covert all my needs.

Features: https://ferrofish.com/en/products/pulse-16/

Enough inputs and outputs, option madi (might be useful if I ever switch to a full madi setup) and slick looking design.

My experience
When I unboxed the Ferrofish Pulse I immediately noticed the weight of the converter and the how well build it is. It's similar to RME in that regard.

The manual wasn't very helpful on how to setup the device with the RME 802. I gave Ferrofish some feedback about this.

After the connecting the right ADAT cables to the 802 and setting the RME clock source to ADAT I noticed that Totalmix and my DAW (Ableton) had a lot more channels to chose from.
Awesome!

I tested the Pulse by running a audio signal through them and did some comparison between the RME and the Pulse. To my ear I barely hear a difference when recording or playing back audio.

The Pulse has a two tft displays with some menu options which can easily be navigated with the rotary encoder. The encoder also feels really solid. In the menu you can configure internal routing, set a lock so know one can overwrite your setting, configure additional madi, save/load presets and set gain levels.

Communication with Ferrofish was really good! Every question I had was answered through facebook and they even kept me up to date with delivery times and future development. I really like it when small passionate companies build high-quality products and listen to their customers.

Conclusion
Should you buy it? Yes! Although the manual wasn't very informational on everything, I think it's still a no brainer to buy one of you're looking for i/o expansion. For less then 1000 EUR you get everything you need in great quality with a lot of option for future expansion.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Ferrofish Pulse16
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search