The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kush Audio Novatron

Kush Audio Novatron

4.9 4.9 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Great dynamics plugin.

26th September 2017

Kush Audio Novatron by bobtheninja

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Kush Audio Novatron

The Novatron is really easy to use, has very useful and effective attack & release settings, incredible-sounding saturation stages & a sound that just totally works. I'm very impressed. Used it on a mix a couple of days ago, and I'm already looking forward to mixing with it again later this week in a more song-oriented setting. I have really high hopes for using this on vocals.

Highly recommended.

Last edited by bobtheninja; 27th September 2017 at 03:10 PM..

30th September 2017

Kush Audio Novatron by barryfell

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Kush Audio Novatron

Novatron has been my go to comp since the first beta dropped, and i'm so glad it's finally gone public so you have the chance to enjoy and use it as much as I have been. UBK have met their high standard again and risen the bar for sure. In line with the outpouring of unanimous positive response it's had on the likes of this forum, I am certain you will be stoked with this compressor.

It's very flexible, super solid, and has several innovative ideas that simply aren't found on other compressors.

I love it when a new approach to such an established processing stage is released, and this one builds on but improves on the traditional classic designs we know and love.

This is compression for the 21st century. Why limit yourself to just one compression type when you can have a hybrid of FET/VCA/Vari-Mu, and all the flexibility and respective strengths they bring to the table. My favourite (non-transparent) software compressors of the last few years have all had the very important transformer colouration, albeit seldom as controllable as in Novatron which has both in and out stages (note it can be turned of if you want transparency). This adds to its credence as the new swiss army knife of compressors IMO. It used to be the case i'd have to pick between FET/VCA/OPTO compression and colour or transparent compression, but Novatron can just about do it all and delivers what I want with ease time and again so I rarely even have to think about which comp to use anymore

For me Novatron perfectly bridges the gap between the simple but effective few parameter compressors like the 1176 and 'fully featured' compressors which give extensive control. As per the usual Kush design ethos, many of this plugins parameters are non-numeric or subjectively labelled promoting the 'use your ears rather than your eyes' workstyle.

Of course, useful/innovative functionality means nothing if the sound isn't stellar, and to date nobody i've heard from has been disappointed! It has a solidity and depth that i've never heard on a software comp before so consistently across material and settings. I often find software comps suck the life out of signals too easily and it can take quite a bit of work to find the sweet spots where they don't, but I find Novatron to have a huge sweet spot, and find myself dialing in what I want without compromise quickly and easily. Sound wise, 'big' is what I think when I think Novatron, with that lovely round warmth what one can often only get from hardware compression.

Disto, Arouser, MJUC and Pro-C 2 were my go to algo comps before Novatron, but it's eclipsed them all in most cases for me and is a total workhorse.

CPU wise it is light enough to be used across a mix, and has a great function in project wide toggling of oversampling so you can quickly check how that sounds across your project or just before bouncing.

These are amazing times for DSP compression, and have no doubt that Novatron is worth at least demoning to see how far some of our scenes best DSP guys have come.

I can all but guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

26th October 2017

Kush Audio Novatron by rhysmix

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Kush Audio Novatron

Ugh. Novatron. SO GOOD. I didn't buy the hype at all, I read the euphoric feedback in the product launch thread and didn't believe it, I downloaded the demo and tried it on a bunch of stuff and didn't believe it… until the very last day of said demo, when I realized that it was on every single bus and most channels as well, for two mixes that had to go out that week. It absolutely lives up to its swiss army knife conception, in a way that is both very quick and easy to work with and also very creative and fun, and for me being able to crush through mix problems while also adding cool vibes and color is super super valuable, and it has made turning mixes around a much faster process for me.

While the value for me is in Novatron's ability to sound cool in basically every role a compressor can play (more on the times it doesn't quite hit the mark as well as some other plugs later), the marquee feature is definitely the crazy soaked-in-saturation vibes you can get from the faster time settings. The “76 Creamer” preset is a great starting point for this sort of sound, and it is indeed creamy and “alive”-sounding in a way that is especially cool in parallel.

The saturation on tap here is as good as the top shelf dedicated saturators in my folder. While the controls couldn’t be simpler — two “amount” levers — when combined with fast compression settings and the “Tone Shift” knob, the saturation options are quite versatile and have worked for me on a whole mess of different sources.

Finally, while hardly a killer feature, the “energy delta” meter needs to be brought up. Again, no one is going to buy a compressor just because it has a cool meter, but this has to be the most useful innovation in metering since metering. Being able to go crazy with the compression and the saturation and then with one glance at a meter perfectly match levels, without having to guess at it, bypass, listen, un-bypass, guess, bypass again, etc, is kind of mind blowing. Simple stuff, but this meter should absolutely be on every piece of gear ever.

Alright, so it’s great, it’s super cool, yay Kush, etc. What is it not good at? Well… not much, really. The only one case where I consistently reach for something else is for the good ol’ aggressive 1176 parallel bus, specifically for lead vocals and sometimes overheads. I would be surprised if there isn’t a way to get more of that cutting, urgent 1176 sound, but as of yet it’s still easier for me to just grab an 1176 plugin (the venerable old Waves CLA-76 in my case; an oldie but one that has stubbornly held on for me). I also sometimes prefer the sound of the Plugin Alliance VSC-2 for snappy clean bus compression. If you already have a (very) strong compressor stable, maybe Novatron would be a harder sell, but if you’re trying to keep the herd lean, Novatron is about as good an option as you are going to find, regardless of price.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Kush Audio Novatron
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search