The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio LYD 48

Dynaudio LYD 48

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

The Dynaudio LYD-48 is a three way active reference studio monitor with a class D amplifier. Frequency range between 32Hz - 21 Khz containing a 28mm soft dome tweeter plus a 4" midrange and 8" woofer.

4 weeks ago

Dynaudio LYD 48 by ShadowAMD

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Dynaudio LYD 48

*** Updated review ***

Around two months ago I began searching for monitors that would last me years to come, usually I’d stick to a strict budget (this time it was around 2K USD) and choose the best in said range. This time around I decided to open it up and just find the best I possibly could.

Although my original budget opened me up to trying out less pricey monitors and which rendered some interesting observations. Above a certain price range performance seems to narrow somewhat, most “high end” monitors are great.

Before the Dynaudio’s I had a pair of Equator D5’s and before that I had a pair of Event Opals. Which were both great monitors in their own right, of course the Events being the best pair I’d ever owned.

Anyway, I tried out Focals / Adams / PMC’s / ATC’s / Gethain’s / JBL’s / Equators / Fluid Audio’s and many more.
The Gethain RL906’s are probably the best 5” speakers I’ve heard and I did quite enjoy the Adam A77X’s / S3X’s.

I did want to get hold of the Amphion One18’s and the Presonus Sceptre’s but was unable to do so.

After a recommendation on GS to check out the Dynaudio LYD 48’s, I ordered a pair on a whim which luckily came with a 60 day returns policy. In the end the returns policy wasn’t needed and here’s why:

> The LYD-48’s have a wide stereo image and a strong phantom centre which I’d usually associate with coax’s; you can easily separate instruments / frequencies and focus on problem areas like bass / snare / kicks and vocals.

You may want to place these slightly further apart as the centre can be a little too strong which causes distraction from panned instruments, although the centre / separation is so strong you could easily get away with not having a mono reference.

> They require precise placement but stereo image doesn’t collapse easily when you turn your head.

>The transient details are fast enough to give you accurate feedback although not fast enough to cause an unrateable / untranslatable sound like other more “clinical” monitors I’ve heard. These are somewhat like a very phase coherent / time aligned / neutral set of stereo speakers which and for me that’s a great thing.

Get it right on the Dyn’s and that’s how it will sound in the car / stereo’s / earbuds.

>They can be brutal if you get the mix wrong although when you get it right you will know it; they provide a lot of feedback. During listening tests the Dyn’s accurately showed flaws in quite a few professionally released tracks.

>There’s no inherent “imparted” sound with the Dynaudio’s or signs of boxyness etc. and they sound neutral across the frequency spectrum. Nothing missing, nothing hyped. In short what you put in is what you get out.

>No sub needed, with a frequency range of 32Hz – 21Khz they should cover most needs.

Nothing is perfect and there are a few things that could be improved, room corrections switches are fine but an EQ section would have been better. Again placement can be a little bit finicky, you need to make sure you set them up correctly to get the full range or they definitely won’t sound “right”.

Due to how the tweeters are aligned they may not be the best “midfield” monitors although they do work extremely well as nearfields. Finishing up, I rarely recommend gear but the Dynaudio LYD-48’s are worth checking out if your budget is $2K +. These are great monitors irrelevant of price..

If you have any questions I made a thread here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...in-rl906s.html

Last edited by ShadowAMD; 4 weeks ago at 11:25 PM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search