The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Leapwing Dynone

Leapwing Audio DynOne

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

DynOne is a multi band parallel processor, super clean filters, compression, limiting, upwards expander and a few nice features like weighting, rms vs peak.

30th August 2017

Leapwing Audio DynOne by Mazoulew

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
Leapwing Dynone

Lets be honest there is no shortage of Multiband processors available to engineers nowadays so I guess to stand out you either need to come with a unique feature set or un-compromised sound quality. I would like to say Leapwing Audio have managed to kill two birds with one stone here with DynOne.

This plugin excels in both downward compression or upward expansion and each band can independently used for either task. One of the first things you will notice with this processor is how quickly you can achieve increased intrinsic loudness and ‘weight’ of sources when used in parallel mode. Ive always been slightly reserved in my use of multiband processors as a lot of them have issues of interaction between bands and their crossovers, that said whatever the developers at Leapwing have done in the development of this plugin has paid off in a really exceptional way. The phase coherency between the bands is so solid I couldn't notice any audible shifting or degradation.

I find the GUI very nicely presented and clean cut, you can see exactly where you are at very quickly with minimal fuss. Leapwing have opted out of the inclusion of numerical readouts on the meters which may ruffle a few feathers but I found the more I used this plugin on a variety of sources the less I noticed it. The power of its processing is enough to grab your attention and the less visual feedback from the GUI allows you to concentrate more on the tonal and dynamic shaping that is taking place.

When using it in its direct form(non-parallel), you can really hit this compressor hard and it still sounds great, the usual breakdown of midrange frequencies in the majority of digital compressors is so minor and occurs only when you have literally gone way too far but for my sound design and production purposes I have enough range from subtle ‘glue’ to outright pumping effect which ticks all the boxes for me.

I have tested most commercially available multiband dynamics processors over the years, both hardware and software. The results I have achieved in such a short amount of time with Leapwing’s DynOne has put it up there for me as one of the most impressive pieces of kit in any price bracket.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search