The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Softube Console 1 MKII

Softube Console 1 MKII

4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

There's a reason for the bold caption on the box!

2 weeks ago

Softube Console 1 MKII by Arthur Stone

Softube Console 1 MKII

Tomorrow's World: It's more difficult to be critical of products than I anticipated when starting the Gearslutz reviews. Primarily this is due to the design and quality of the products. In the 50 years I've been making music the capability and reliability of automated devices has improved exponentially; the future (as told by Raymond Baxter and Judith Hann on BBC TV's Tomorrow's World 1975) has arrived...just in time.

The Softube Console1 MkII is a great example of that promised future fulfilled: the hardware controls Softube plug-ins which are inserted into (one or all) DAW channels and run on the host computer. In addition to the stock SSL4000E-series official emulation, a SSL 9000K-series, Summit Grand Channel, and Brit Class A (Neve-style) are available as extra purchases, as are the rest of the excellent Softube plug-in range (many of which can be inserted into the Console 1 channel strip. No audio passes through the hardware, just software control.

The Console 1 MkII hardware bears all the familiar hallmarks of it's ancestry in the industrial revolution (mass-produced folded metal protecting the internal mechanism/familiar dials and buttons) and encompasses the latest miniaturization of electronic circuitry and digital control systems. Designed by Softube of Sweden. Made in China.

In today's connected world, the paradigm shift is towards distributed manufacturing and its no longer as relevant where an item is manufactured (albeit ethically-manufactured) rather the provenance of manufacture; is it a trusted network?
The original Console 1 MkI was hand-manufactured at Softube HQ but now the manufacture is automated in China. Personally I have zero issue with this as nowadays good gear manufacture is more distributed. What is more important is whether the gear works and is reliable and not compromised in materials, components, design or manufacture. By streamlining the manufacturing process Softube have achieved significant cost-saving and the MkII is almost half the price of MkI. It's not just a case of off-shoring manufacture to increase profit; this is a serious, quality product with excellent engineering standards – hardware and software.

So on paper and in hardware, Console1 MkII (C1 from here on) has the potential to be one of those products that lead to the paradigm shift in audio tech and how we can make music. The big question is: does it sound good?

Out-of-the-Box: The C1 arrived neatly-packaged: included is a 6ft/2m heavy-duty USB cable (looks like a type1 or 2 with white plastic inside connector) and a double-sided sheet with set-up instructions.
Although C1 is a simple plug-and-play device the software needs to be installed and licensed first; (in my case) this was not straightforward and it took a couple of days to get it to work. The analogy I would make here is that installing a large-format console is not straightforward either but the end result is usually worth the installation hassle; and so it is with the C1.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/phot...k-install.html

Softube Console 1 MKII-c1-top.png

Set-up and first use: The purpose of the C1 hardware is to control the Console 1 plug-in in the DAW: the hardware has buttons and endless rotary encoders to control (from left to right) input level, high-pass and low-pass filters, a shaper/gate, EQ, compression, drive and character, and ouput level. LED metering accompanies each stage. The C1 hardware feels good; by this I mean that it has enough weight to sit solidly on the desk, and the physical resistance of the rotary encoders is well-measured in terms of effective human haptic touch. An analogy might be a car's steering wheel that is too loose (how many encoders feel) as opposed to adaptive power-steering; or another analogy is like gain-bunching on a preamp...twiddling to find the good spot. The C1 just feels right (as Pete Townsend noted in his recent Softube demo)...and that's important.

So lets turn the unit on. Just needs one USB cable (supplied) to a PC or Mac and hit the 'On' button to display the screen. The buttons feel more Industrial Revolution than the future; there is a distinct mechanical click when pushed and this click is not soft and seems to be distributed across the metal surface of Console1. The click has the same sound and feel as a Yamaha 01X mixer but not quite as bad as the old plastic Boss BBRW recorder. The click can easily be heard and the buttons could not be pressed without being picked up by a large-diaphragm mic in the same room. On the plus side they seem solid, reliable and have a positive feedback that operation has occurred (something not always evident with soft click switches). In fairness to Softube the switch does appear to change a physical contact which perhaps leads to a better product than other methods; also, C1 is touted as a mixing tool not for recording (sans preamps). In practice and with a little forethought in a tracking session it needn't be an issue.. A click worth paying for. A good honest click....but still a bit irritating in a quiet studio.

Prior to plugging in the USB the software needs to be downloaded and product activated with a 16-digit code that comes with the hardware. To do this a Softube/Gobbler/iLok 'all-in-one' account is required and this remains active on the computer as a virtual dongle.

To get started I plugged in the C1 into the PC via USB. The PC (W7) recognised the C1 and downloaded the driver automatically in 20 secs. The printed acrylic top screen is, for our purposes, state-of-the-art – in addition to the legends, buttons and encoders it's LED's communicate the channel status. In a darkish environment (and darker) the LED's are bright enough to smear out the legends printed onto the C1 chassis; off-angle it's not so bad and the control panel can be learnt and remembered instinctively in time.

Whilst browsing the “Softube Console 1 WOW!!!” thread on Gearslutz I noticed some comments about not liking the 'accelerating knobs' (no pun intended!); my initial impressions of the rotary dials had been positive – a nice solid feel within a human-friendly haptic feedback. So what are 'accelerating knobs'?

I couldn't find out. All I know about 'accelerating knobs' is that there is now an option to turn it off. In practice there is a discrepancy between when the knob is turned and when the display/VST reacts. For example, a quarter rotation turn might be needed before any corresponding activity happens. This can be distracting.

I checked the Softube website: it's very good IMO. Easy to find data in a couple of clicks (apart from knob data). Extensive feedback on various DAW compatibility and the ongoing bug fixes or upgrades. Impressed. The Softube manuals are also clear, interesting and informative (even beyond C1) – you can learn about the hardware gear modelled and also good tips for use. Good communication for beginners and pros.

Among the many fixes and upgrades available in the latest update is the ability to turn off accelerating knobs; also, fixes for the CPU display freezes. So that just leaves the button click.

Softube Console 1 MKII-frontside-tilt-small.jpg

Sound tests: The E-series with it's flexible EQ and snappy dynamics worked well on a lot of my older songs and pepped them up a bit...like a nice cup of mint tea. They were originally created with Propellerhead Reason's SSL-style emulation 9000K mixer; when I tested a full mix 'The River' I opted for the 9000K but found that the EQ was more broadstroke than the Reason version which was more similar in sound and capability to the 4000E channel strip. So I restarted the session with the E-series and having muted just the Reason channel strips, I replaced them with the Console 1 plug-in; it was close but the fact that Softube have an official emulation is clearly heard. It's remarkable in comparison. No disrespect to Reason.

The two mixes both went through the Reason SSL-style bus comp and a 50Hz high-pass filter and then Reason's stock Maximizer (rather than Ozone as usual). They are quite hot and only mp3 but the differences in mid-range detail, soundstage, and representation of source are clear IMO. The Console 1 also introduces or highlights a lot of complex dynamics that creates interest rather than a flat 2D'ness.
The shaper/gate gets an honourable mention for it's transient-shaping capability. Nearly worth the price of admission on it's own.

Anyway I liked C1 a lot.

Softube Console 1 MKII-xl9000k.png

Software: No audio passes through the hardware controller – just bi-directional MIDI data to DAW plug-ins. I wondered if the Softube plug-ins I have purchased for Propellerheads Reason – as ReFills, which although similar to the VST versions, are proprietary to Reason – would work with C1? They did not but also Console 1 didn't interfere with them. In fact, C1 isn't at all intrusive into the DAW session; the plug-in is loaded and you're free to do as much externally or within the DAW session as you like.

The installation of the plug-ins was straightforward: download and run installer; however I could not get the software licensed for use on my Windows 7 PC. I experienced the stages of grief: denial, acceptance, anger/frustration, depression. You know what I mean!

I should say at this stage that the eventual benefits easily outweighed the hassle but I'm recounting this tale as it may help others. I went through a dark cycle of reading the excellent C1 instruction manual, the Softube website Q&A, the Gobbler Q&A, the iLok Q&A, and Gearslutz forum, looking for clues as to where I had gone wrong and re-trying to license the software. The basic premise of the licensing system is that you do not need a physical iLok; instead a virtual dongle does that job. The method employed is to have a joint Softube/Gobbler/iLok account and verification software – but, in my case, this would simply not work and eventually I had to download and install the iLok License Manager. Then it worked. I could have saved a couple of days of mild frustration.

In fairness to Softube they have to protect their beautiful product from theft and this is the method they use. I don't like having licensing apps running on my PC but, like having to install a large-format console, the results are well-worth it. Another point is that the PC ecosystem is diverse: many different spec'd computers running many operating systems; it's impossible for manufacturers to identify problems that are unique and specific to a given set-up in advance – some beta-testing will occur in the wild.

The Softube plug-ins are Gearslutz-reviewed by diogo_c here: Softube Volume 1

The Console 1 MkII is also compatible with Universal Audio plug-ins via Apollo Central:

Softube Console 1 MKII-apollo.jpg

Hybrid DAW-outboard use: I didn't incorporate the C1 into my main system for the review but if I were keeping it it would have ended up in my iZ RADAR Studio on the channel outputs of Reason; from there, sixteen channels summed in hardware and then a 2-bus mixing/mastering chain. Sometimes I will import back into a DAW for some finishing plug-ins. I knew this would work well and C1 will be great for hybrid use.

DAW-only use: The internal DAW components work without the hardware controller attached – just as a normal ITB session. This is great for mobility.

Hardware/software integration:
With the exception of the rotary encoder 'catch-up' (which isn't too big an issue IMO) the hardware-software integration is smooth and reliable with no noticeable latency; the visual (and sonic) feedback of encoder moves is easily discernible without having to be too focussed on the screen. The more C1 is used, the more muscle-memory and confidence in the encoders increases. Eventually operation becomes largely intuitive and the screen is there to confirm an action rather than guide it. Although it may seem like a paradigm shift to not rely on mouse and keyboard for part of mixing, in practice it's a liberating and comfortable process.
Although the Console 1 MkII package is a controller and plug-in (capable of controller-independent use), in practice it feels and operates as one; as a soon as the encoder lag is compensated for by operator muscle memory, the feel is much more like using a high-quality analogue (or digital) desk or outboard unit.

Aesthetics and ergonomics: The C1 sits nicely on the desk; it is well proportioned for sitting in front of or behind a QWERTY keyboard and mouse and is slightly elevated over the keys so that the USB outlet doesn't snag; whilst situated to the rear of the keyboard it's height allows for a smooth work-surface contour and reflection zone for the monitors. When not used it can be placed to the side or disconnected easily. Equally the C1 would fit nicely into a custom unit e.g. wood frame or additive-manufactured 3D printed frame. The unit would also sit nicely in a rack-shelf for accessibility. It's main position should be centre-field between the monitors and it's dimensions and weight make it perfect for that functionality without eating up to much desk real-estate.

In daylight (indoors studio with window) the screen-printed 2mm tall text is surprisingly legible, white against the darker background...like the Clear Text font on a hi-def screen; the yellow SHIFT-text is slightly less clear. The text disappears in a dark room and a lamp or overhead light (or torch) is needed to read the legends; if the C1 is situated on the desk in front of a computer display monitor that might also provide enough light for reading.

In use I began to adapt to, and unconsciously-memorise, the rotary encoders in about an hour; channel buttons are lit to signify position so that's not such an issue and there are about a dozen unlit buttons that are seldom used. Low-light visibility of the legends was less of an issue than I had anticipated; also I realized that the C1, with all it's functionality, was less daunting to learn than I first thought – there was an immediate and intuitive melding with the interface (even flying blind in low light) and that is the mark of great design and ergonomics.

Sit back in a comfy chair, feet up, in the monitors sweet spot or with headphones on...and mix.

Softube Console 1 MKII-brit-class-.png

What if...? OK so I'm mid-session, Kylie and Danni are groovin' in the kitchen, cookin' breakfast, whilst I mix down their latest hit – C1 is rockin' it and I'm going into the Softube Summit master bus from the Softube E-series SSL emulation...and....the internet breaks. What happens next? Does the C1 session quit? Does it need to be constantly authenticated in realtime or will it work offline? Will my eggs still be sunnyside-up?

Answer: it's all good. In the video I unplug the C1 hardware mid-session and it runs as usual and the software components can be controlled via the plug-in. The same applies if the internet is disconnected; the hardware controller and software operate as usual (provided correct license is installed).

If the hardware is hot-unplugged the session just continues as normal but with control via the VST plug-in, albeit without the large display screen.

Gearslutz Score:
Sound quality: 5/5 As a long-time fan of the SSL-emulation (and hardware 4000E) sound I'm very impressed with the character of the Console 1 software. It is easily bright, smooth, detailed and....sounds like a record. It doesn't sound exactly like a £50,000 console but it's close enough for £500.
Without relying on hyperbole, it is safe to say the E-series plug-in adds a crystalline frosting without losing warmth in the important places in the spectrum – harmonics complimentary to the source were emphasised. The character of the E-series plug-in doesn't create a generic sound that smears all sources. The Neve...oops sorry – Brit Class A, 900K and Summit channels all sound excellent too; each has a different tonal character and dynamic response. I'd say the 4000E works on everything (even pre-existing mixes) whereas the others are more specific; I'd probably only use the Brit A and 9000K if I'd tracked specifically for their sound. Softube made a good call with the stock channel.

Ease of use: 4/5 Point lost for all the licensing/install and lack of DAW sync (Reason) but once up-and-running they only issue is adapting to the knob movement (no pun intended) and memorising controller positions. You may have a 'sync-compatible' DAW for full feature compatibility and have no issues with install (probably) so consider it a 5* in your situation. There is some lag with the encoders but I did adapt to it somewhat during the relatively short review period; I think one would still be aware of it after some time – fortunately Softube released an update today to switch off accelerating knobs! Whether this fixes the lag I don't know. I guess so. What this does show is that Softube is responding to feedback and developing the C1.

Features: 4/5 The hardware is solid and very well-designed and finished. The software screen display of the mixer and strips is first-class: clean, simple and ergonomic, and it makes the perfect backdrop for actually listening to the music rather than watching it in the DAW. The knob/dials and buttons work very well despite needing some familiarity with button positions in low-light. A point is lost for mechanical noise when using the buttons (as it's easily picked up by a mic) and it can be a little irritating in a quiet studio.
Hardware not fully-featured in all DAW's. Not too much of a problem in Reason after setting up templates but only some DAW's will be able to utilise the full capability.

Bang-for-buck:
5/5 The main reason you'd want this is because it makes your music sound better than without; considering a good plug-in suite can cost £500 then the controller makes it a 5* deal. If you use Softube and Apollo plug-ins then the price/value ratio improves as there are specific control templates.

Softube Console 1 MKII-gc_for_console1-2-.jpg

Recommended for: Despite losing a couple of points I'd thoroughly-recommend the Console 1 MKII for anyone working ITB who wants a good sonic return for their money; although the SSL (and Brit-A) emulations are effectively plug-ins that run on your computer, the controller really adds to the way the sound is shaped and massaged. The Console 1 workflow also assists in organising and taming mixes quickly and intuitively; much faster/nicer than mousework. Basically the Console 1 MkII improves sonics and workflow.
I really enjoyed opening old Reason sessions and breathing new life into them.

Pros: Great sound; brings the music alive with dynamic vibe. Hardware is intuitive once learned. Cool workflow. Great results. Sounds like a record.
Cons: Slight learning curve. Button noise. Plays nicer with some DAW's than others.

Consoled or disconsolate?: In addition to the paradigm shift from industrial revolution to distributed additive manufacturing, the Console1 also encompasses the paradigm shift in audio engineering: it emulates the classic console designs of the last century whilst interfacing with the digital environment.

Just as a 1975 Tomorrow's World predicted a better future with Kraftwerks' first UK TV appearance, so Softube's Console1 MkII heralds a better, better future where hardware and software play nice together instead of fighting like stags.

Softube Console 1 MKII-c1-top.png

Credits and references:
Softube Console 1 WOW!!!
Softube - Console 1
YouTube
Softube Volume 1

All photos used with permission of Softube and Arthur Stone.

Attached Thumbnails
Softube Console 1 MKII-apollo.jpg   Softube Console 1 MKII-brit-class-.png   Softube Console 1 MKII-c1-top.png   Softube Console 1 MKII-gc_for_console1-2-.jpg   Softube Console 1 MKII-package.jpg  

Softube Console 1 MKII-summit.png   Softube Console 1 MKII-xl9000k.png   Softube Console 1 MKII-frontside-tilt-small.jpg   Softube Console 1 MKII-top-small.jpg  
27th August 2017

Softube Console 1 MKII by ISotirov

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Softube Console 1 MKII

SOFTWARE

The software operating the Console 1 is very user-friendly with a slick overview. The integration with PT is incredible. The way it takes control over your Softube and UAD plugins is great. There is of course room for improvement in future, but the team behind it is solid and working hard.

I know the Console 1 is marketed as a midi controller for your very expensive Softube and UAD plugins, but that’s not what hyped me up to write this review. I think the cherry on the cake is the SSL4000 Channel Strip that came with it. This is a very disputed area where some people are not as pleased as me from it’s performance, but I think a lot of it comes down to taste.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the functionality - the plugin can not be loaded on a track without the Console 1 plugin. It’s created with close collaboration with SSL and I think the performance of the Gate, EQ and Compressor are superb. Yes, there are cheaper alternatives and other compressors out there, but I want to compare apples to apples. Having used the Waves and UAD versions of the channel strip I can say this one is my favourite as quality and performance.

BUT WAIT! There’s more… Softube’s take on the SSL4K channel strip includes a “Shape” control in the Gate section, which is essentially a Transient Designer. I must say here I’m a huge fan of the original Transient Designer and the Shape control is spot on. Not the same, but it has it’s own charms.

Another bonus to the SSL4K is the Drive control and the Character control for the Drive (basically a harmonic distortion). I found that the Drive set on 5 brings you that sweet warmness of the analog SSL4K. It has a similar flattening to a tape machine, but if you are looking for that glue this will make you happy.

Even though the compressor is not breathtaking it’s nice of them to throw in a parallel option. The Console 1 has a few more cards in the sleeves like external side-chaining and changing the order of the different processors.

BANG FOR BUCK

Let’s put a different perspective on the price and move aside from the comparison with other midi controllers. UAD’s SSL4K goes for £229. Their price of the Transient Designer is £149 and a decent drive and harmonic dist will cost you another £100-150. That all comes to around £500, which is higher then the price tag of the Console 1 (£420). It is already worth your money and I haven’t even touched on all of the perks I mention earlier like all it’s capabilities as a midi controller or the benefits of saving individual histories in each instance where the plugin is opened. Yes, you can scan across every change you made on each Console 1 plugin and come back to it, which is unseen in DAWs.

INTEGRATION

I know the integration has improved from the MK1 and it will keep upgrading as the team keeps moving forward. The list of plugins integrated with the Console 1 will expand.

Even though you can load individual plugins from Softube and UAD in the Gate, EQ and Comp you can’t load your UAD channel strips. If you want to load in whole channel strips you have to buy them separately. At first I was disappointed that I can’t take advantage of my UAD API Channel Strip for which I already paid a bag of money. To my surprise the Console 1 was able to strip down the different components of the API and load individually the Gate, EQ and Comp. Talk about integration… Yes the software is smart!

BUILD

This thing is a heavy war tank and the crew inside is listening to Miles Davis and drinking red wine, dressed in tuxedoes. It feels very rigid and solid yet the oily and slick movement of the knobs makes you feel special. My only comment would be the little white buttons, which feel a bit wobbly. I do feel somewhat comfortable spilling a pint on it and dropping it from my desk, but let’s not turn this into an iPhone drop test.

WHO NEEDS THE CONSOLE 1

If you own a small UAD chip like the one in the Apollo Duo, the bad news is that you wont be able to load tons of UAD plugins, but you already know this. The good news is that you can load a ton of SSL4Ks, because unlike the rest of your UAD library they are actually loaded through the internal CPU of your computer.

If you plan to use the Console 1 to it’s max potential you will have to upgrade to a Quad or Octo. In my case I’m taking advantage of my Duo and Octo to compensate for the weak i5 in my MacBook Pro.

THE CONCLUSION

I know many of you are probably asking the same question that was going through my head before I bought the MK2. “Why should I buy a midi controller when I can use my mouse and keyboard? It’s an unnecessary expenditure and instead I can buy another plugin or two.”

Here is my answer:

This product is targeting UAD maniacs like myself. If you are one you know the feeling of spending thousands of pounds on UAD hardware and software and you know there is no way around it once you get hooked with an Apollo. Even if you save your pennies for Black Friday at the end of the year your pockets will be empty. Now trust me when I say this - adopting the Console 1 in your arsenal will have a bigger impact on your mixing then yet another different EQ. There is a reason for the bold caption on the box (“SOUND. WORKFLOW. CONTROL.”). The Console 1 will make you mix more with your ears rather then your eyes. Your mixing will become faster, more efficient and pleasurable. Just as your CPU needs more power for plugins, your brain need space to breathe. If your workflow is better and faster you WILL have more brain capacity for creativity and mixing. And you can’t put a price tag on that!

As to the “SOUND.” - it has to be heard, not read in a review!

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT

The following is addressed to Softube. I'd love to see support for more then 3 plugins at a time in the Console 1. Some of us like to build complex chains with multiple EQs and Comps and that is missing from Console1.

By holding the shift button you are utilising 5 of the 20 white buttons that select the tracks. I'd love to see at least 10 of them assigned to to empty inputs which I can fill in holding the shift.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Softube Console 1 MKII
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search