The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Barefoot Sound Footprint01 - Pair

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Barefoot Sound’s new Footprint line of powered nearfield monitors delivers the company’s uncompromising audio performance and build quality to engineers, producers, composers and musicians working in smaller spaces and with smaller budgets.

24th August 2017

Barefoot Sound Footprint01 - Pair by polybonk

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5

Just tested them in the mastering studio and they were pretty decent for the price. Very scooped in the mids and they tidy up the top end and add transients on smeared material. Not transparent but accurate enough for the $

They remind me of a good club system shrunk down to micro size.

Interestingly they sounded good on modern pop/EDM etc but they needed quite a bit of space - midfield distance in the treated room. Rock and classical, anything with less transients/dynamics sounded flat, harsh and not that inspired.

However and much to my surprise....

Inside a non treated bedroom up near the wall as nearfields they really really worked well! Scooped sound disappeared and the image and full range was fantastic sitting around 1m from them!

They have shot to the top of my recommend list for bedroom electronic music producers. They really work well in a small space. Better than anything else i have tried over the years. The only issue being that they produce so much SPL at low freq that the 20hz stuff will be heard out on the street. Not for thin walls!

4 weeks ago

Barefoot Sound Footprint01 - Pair by Kerbkrawler

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I have spent about 50 hours on these speakers and they were an upgrade from a pair of A7X with a Adams 10" sub. After about 50 hours of listening, I did not notice any particular improvement from the burn-in, although it certainly took some time to adjust from the Adams. Relative to the A7X the FP01 sounded a little less hyped in the upper mids and highs. Low end information less than 80hz, was discernible although the twin 8" woofers are certainly no match for a dedicated subwoofer. By comparison, the A7X has like, zero bass without a subwoofer. The separation is good, but not as pronounced as a A7X.

These monitors have a decently large sweet spot and sound really good at midfield listening positions. For bass heavy music these are some of the best monitors I have heard (that don't use a sub). They are just not as detailed as the Adams (or LYD-48's) in the upper and high mids. That was fine with me, as I was looking for something a little more neutral or flatter sounding since I have Adams for the head ripping highs.

The MEME technology is interesting, although I only typically use the "flat" mode and "cube" mode. I don't find the NS10 emulation particularly useful, but I never spent much time on NS10's nor did I learn how to mix on NS10's, so your experience may be different. The cube mode is handy as it basically a way to quickly check what your mix sounds like on a crappy speaker (and not have another set of wires or monitors to worry about). The hi-fi setting is suitable for casual listening (basically a "loudness" button) and these things will get loud (just don't do it while your mixing )

I debated giving these a 5 for sound quality, because they do sound fantastic, but if you are expecting crystal clear and very forward highs/high mids, along with laser-like focus in the stereo field, these may disappoint you.

So at 3800 ish new, would I buy again? Absolutely. At the sub $4000 price point, these things are awesome and definitely worth a listen.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Barefoot Sound Footprint01 - Pair
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search