The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL LSR708P

JBL LSR708P

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Exceptional imaging, excellent sonics, plenty of headroom and low distortion in a compact package with built in DSP.

23rd August 2017

JBL LSR708P by watersedge1234

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
JBL LSR708P

I've spent the past few weeks with a pair of JBL 708Ps. Coming from LSR305s, the 7 series is a clear step up in every category.

I didn't necessarily want to step into another JBL monitor but the deal I received was too good to pass up, not to mention 48 months same as cash at sweetwater. I recently built a mix suite in a spare bedroom, small room but well treated. I was pleasantly surprised when I turned these on.

Jumping into the technical aspects of this speaker, it truly is an advanced design from Harman and one of the better products they've brought out in a long time. I've been impressed with JBL as of late, starting with their pro audio lines and now with their studio division. It appears they are putting out excellent products in all facets despite their somewhat bad reputation (Junk But Loud).

Imaging is wide and deep, with a spectacular phantom center. These speakers seem to encompass the entire space between them and almost disappear. I've found it much easier to make decisions on vocal placement and volume - this speaker has a good way of relaying when the vocals are sitting just right in the mix.

Frequency response measures well, with usable power well into the 40s. As most ported speaker designs these wouldn't be considered particularly "tight" sounding in the low end, although waterfall plots indicate its better than most. Revealing upper mids, albeit slightly forward, keep my mixes in check. This may also relate to the ability to place vocals with ease.

Tons of power on tap. During my testing I measured 110 dBc on peaks without audible distortion or limiting effects, but wouldn't recommend listening that loud for long For reference, speakers are 58" from my listening position. These push quite nicely down low, subwoofer not necessary. Highs are clean and uncompressed - in fact, there's no limiting in the circuit at all. Dynamics are fantastic for a speaker this size, they sound considerably larger than their footprint would suggest.

DSP and digital input options are fantastic tools. My listening room has a single offset window that ends up directly behind my right speaker. During measurements I found the drywall behind my left speaker was inducing coupling around 140 hz that the window let go right through. Having DSP on tap was fantastic for rectifying this problem, and shifted upper bass information from left heavy to dead center. I also enjoy the fact that I can utilize AES, as I am able to have my subs, NS10s, and 708P all on separate outputs from my Lynx Hilo. Conversion appears to be accurate, although I haven't done a direct shootout between my Hilo and the 708P itself. Having delay is also incredibly helpful for time aligning subs, and came in handy in my situation.

All in all - I enjoy these speakers immensely. They get very little love around these parts, but they are worth a look. Punchy, accurate, with tons of power on tap and enjoyable to listen to to boot. Great imaging, large sweet spot. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search