The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio SA4000+

Stam Audio SA4000+

4.8 4.8 out of 5, based on 7 Reviews

15th August 2017

Stam Audio SA4000+ by IzzyRock

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA4000+

Last week I had the chance to test the SA400+ at my studio. I have own the SA4000 for almost 2 years and was quite interested in hearing what differences it could bring to the table. The mod which is quite popular in other units adds 2 Carnhill output transformers to the signal chain with a class AB output buffer.

I passed some drums through the unit with the mod engaged and all though it was subtle it was obvious what it did to the mix (in a good way), it added deepness, sub harmonics and low end, this is probably all coming from the transformers which is like the low end you can find on the 1073 units and these frequencies are hard to emulate with EQ. I also tested the mod with a full pop mix and the results were the same as with Drums, I really appreciate what it brings to the table and although I was already happy with the standard SA4000 I would certainly choose to have both options, is not only nice to have at the ease of a toggle switch but it also gets me closer to the final mix.

I think I will leave the switch on all the time for future mixes.

3rd November 2017

Stam Audio SA4000+ by Totalrex

• Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Stam Audio SA4000+

STAM SA 4000+ STEREO COMPRESSOR
Let's get the primary gripe with Stam out of the way first......
Like Slate Digital, proposed deadlines are not to be trusted. It took months to get this unit. I originally ordered it in May (standard SA4000) added the mod in August, and received my unit three days before Halloween.
That being said, like Slate, the wait was worth it!
This unit adds some low end heft, like so many other compressors, but it also imparts a clarity and spaciousness to the material. Some would say 3D, but to me it feels like each element has its own little home - an extremely desirable effect.
The mod also delivers several dB of gain (transformers, after all). It is still a nice compressor without the mod switched in, but it is a great one with it.
The threshold control is counter-intuitive - fully clockwise is no comp - but this isn't the only unit that uses that scheme.
I'm using mine in the two bus, after a pair of Warm Audio EQP-WA Pultec clones (highly recommended).
SA 4000: $490 (preorder)
+ mod: $290
Shipping: $115

Check website - prices may be slightly different.

2 weeks ago

Stam Audio SA4000+ by irieboss

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA4000+

It took me 7 months to get this product so be aware that it can take some time to get one if you preorder!
I used to own the real ssl 19” bus compressor but sold it and have regrett it since then. But not anymore! the Stam audio sa4000+ fills its shoes with no problems. I specially love it when you use it with the sidechain in. you can get this compressor to really smack you in the face if you want to. engage the sidechain and mix into the compressor on the the 2buss and you will be blown away. Ive got the sa4000+ version wich have an A/b switch on the front for selecting clean outputs vs transformer outputs.
when used with the transformers you get a wider sound
little deeper sounding, but to me its much more of a feature that can come in handy on some mixes rather than beaing used all the time, I really like the original clean outputs as it sounds a little more punchier and the mono signals really stays dead center like kick and bass. I can really recomend this product to anyone lookig for a great bus compressor! And for the price its a no brainer.

1 week ago

Stam Audio SA4000+ by musicmen

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA4000+

Hi,everywhere.Some days ago I take my Sa4000+ from Joshua.Say that I,m satisfied,do not say anything!Very cool compressor,very intuitive,simple in use.Sa4000 removes all plugins on the grandfather's shelf ))).
This unit is what I missed before.My mixes really moved in the right direction.Punch,clarity,glue=Sa4000.Very long preorder and delivery is a minus,but the Sa4000+ is +++++++.Joshua,many thanks!100% hit
Sa4000+ took its place in my garden

Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio SA4000+-img_5414.jpg  
1 week ago

Stam Audio SA4000+ by William_DigiHill

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
Stam Audio SA4000+

Hello Guys,
I just patched my sa4000+ and it's ready to work.
It sounds absolutely fantastic! Yes I've waited almost 7 months since my first SA4000 order, but wanted the modded one, so waiting was not a big deal to me.
That said, I put it on a mix a was doing and, BANG!!!! I didn't believe my ears! My mix instantly sounds Tighter, bigger, more focused and airy!
I mixed for years with plug-ins in my 2-bus: Slate/Waves and when I A/B The difference was HUGE, couldn't believe what I missed all that time.
Concerning the mod, at first I didn't noticed a difference on and off. Think I was exited of the whole thing But the day after I tried and did some tests.
I loaded some of my mixes and printed 2 tracks without the mod, inverted the phase on one and as expected they null.
Then do the same with Mod On and Off.
When mod is engaged we are 0.3dB louder, so I compensate that and inverted the phase. What resulted is the shine of the HH, the verb on the sides and the bottom of the bass guitar.
So even if it's subtle, this thing does what's on the paper. More width, more air and more bottom, warmth!
So yes it's subtle, but it's engaged and love it.
To conclude, thank you Joshua van der Stam.
I'm a very happy guy!
I just placed a order on SA76 and hope it will be awesome too!

1 week ago

Stam Audio SA4000+ by Limit54

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Stam Audio SA4000+

Jesus Christ it's that damn good. I wish it had a frequency knob for sidechain filter but that's about it. I tried it against my favourite plugin The Glue and this thing beats it like 10-1, which I personally didn't want it to. I was expecting no big deal maybe a little better but holy ******* s hit its incredible.

1 week ago

Stam Audio SA4000+ by XRstudios

• Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Stam Audio SA4000+

SA 4000 stereo bus compressor.

The G buss comprssor is my go to in many situations when i am mixing in bigger studios. I have become very comfortable with the sound and know a thing or two on how to get that legendary glue in a mix. But for my personal studio i think ill save the 4 large.

After a couple hours of testing i did find the grove for the unit. The sound is identical to it's predecessor with particular settings but I did find the auto release lacking that glue. Sonically minor chances are noticeable but for the most parts its a G buss compressor at heart. Once I got a feel for how the unit behaves in a mix I was able to capture and re create that glue in no time. The only one down side to the SA 4000 in my opinion, is the auto release not functioning the same as its predecessor.(3 star ease of use) That's a very small compromise if you ask me. Slap that release to .1 .3 you'll hear that glue and save your self about 3 grand or more. So If your like me and have had the pleasure using a real G series compressor of course you'll be able to pick apart the differences but trust me they aren't major.

SA 4000+

Stam Audio really did something special with the Carnhill Transformer mod. Talk about opening doors for new possibilities. I know a lot of people say they cant hear the difference but I feel three things effect this judgment, biggest being your monitors, secondly your play back environment, and lastly listening from a mixing stand point. Take a second and listen from a mastering point of view and I'm sure you'll hear the gold. I'm currently using focal alpha 80's and when you flip that switch, you know you flipped that switch. Not to mention the over all sonic behavior of the unit drastically changes with the mod engaged.

All Being said the SA 4000 is an incredible buy for the money but the SA 4000+ is changing the game. The wait was very long and at times miss leading but these guys hand make these units and only about 2 a day can be made with several hundred orders to fill. Imagine the stress they feel. After talking with their team being an upset first time customer at some points I understand they really want to get you these units as fast as they can but physical limitations apply. The wait was hard but well worth it especially at the price point. I could really just go on about the Carnhill mod but you'll really just have to take the dive and get one your self.

Side note: If you have ever ran your mix through a pair of 1073's and fell in love the CarnHill modification is just right for you.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Stam Audio SA4000+
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search