The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio SA4000+

Stam Audio SA4000+

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

15th August 2017

Stam Audio SA4000+ by IzzyRock

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Stam Audio SA4000+

Last week I had the chance to test the SA400+ at my studio. I have own the SA4000 for almost 2 years and was quite interested in hearing what differences it could bring to the table. The mod which is quite popular in other units adds 2 Carnhill output transformers to the signal chain with a class AB output buffer.

I passed some drums through the unit with the mod engaged and all though it was subtle it was obvious what it did to the mix (in a good way), it added deepness, sub harmonics and low end, this is probably all coming from the transformers which is like the low end you can find on the 1073 units and these frequencies are hard to emulate with EQ. I also tested the mod with a full pop mix and the results were the same as with Drums, I really appreciate what it brings to the table and although I was already happy with the standard SA4000 I would certainly choose to have both options, is not only nice to have at the ease of a toggle switch but it also gets me closer to the final mix.

I think I will leave the switch on all the time for future mixes.

2 weeks ago

Stam Audio SA4000+ by Totalrex

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Stam Audio SA4000+

STAM SA 4000+ STEREO COMPRESSOR
Let's get the primary gripe with Stam out of the way first......
Like Slate Digital, proposed deadlines are not to be trusted. It took months to get this unit. I originally ordered it in May (standard SA4000) added the mod in August, and received my unit three days before Halloween.
That being said, like Slate, the wait was worth it!
This unit adds some low end heft, like so many other compressors, but it also imparts a clarity and spaciousness to the material. Some would say 3D, but to me it feels like each element has its own little home - an extremely desirable effect.
The mod also delivers several dB of gain (transformers, after all). It is still a nice compressor without the mod switched in, but it is a great one with it.
The threshold control is counter-intuitive - fully clockwise is no comp - but this isn't the only unit that uses that scheme.
I'm using mine in the two bus, after a pair of Warm Audio EQP-WA Pultec clones (highly recommended).
SA 4000: $490 (preorder)
+ mod: $290
Shipping: $115

Check website - prices may be slightly different.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search