The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Q

Waldorf Q

4.75 4.75 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Waldorf Q is a virtual analog synthesizer which takes its classic oscillator models from Waldorf Pulse. It also contains 2 sets of wavetables which take a different approach to its Wavetabler sibling MicroWave XT. The Alt1 and Alt2 wavetables are interpolated, instead of scanned like XT.

13th August 2017

Waldorf Q by MinoCan

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Waldorf Q

Waldorf Q is a virtual analog synthesizer which takes its classic oscillator models from Waldorf Pulse. It also contains 2 sets of wavetables which take a different approach to its Wavetable sibling MicroWave XT. The Alt1 and Alt2 wavetables are interpolated, instead of scanned like XT.

It took 4 years until all promised features are implemented. I was a late buyer so I didn't feel the 4 year wait. 3.0+ OS is what you should update if your revision is old so watch that.

It contains 3 oscillators 3 LFOs (up to 2.6 kHz) and noise oscillator with external input support if needed. Also wavetables have pulse sub oscillators if you want more punch. The Altwaves are 12 bit and interpolated so the changes are really smooth and can work into your favor when programming string/pad/drone sounds.

It has 4 envelopes (with different timings if need be), 16x16 modulation matrix (8 fast and 8 normal speed) with additional destinations for oscillator functions. It also features 4 modifiers to modulate the modulations. I find to be very flexible to sculpt sounds.

I love its interface and considering its flexibility and features, I find it very easy to use. Some people may find menu diving scary but with 58 knobs and easy to use menu, you won't worry about it.

FX section is mediocre unlike Access Virus TI or Roland V-Synth (or GT) I like its delay and chorus, but if you want a natural reverb, just use another dedicated unit for it. That said the character reverb can be put to good use depending on your patches. The output is very strong when dry though.

It also supports 3 stereo outs, a stereo in (TRS), and surround out (5.1). Has a digital output but no input to be a slave (master only), and it's locked at 16 bit 44.1 kHz.

Keep in mind 3.0/3.01 OS can send arpeggiator to MIDI notes, but 3.02 doesn't. 3.02 fixes some midi local issues on synth. Depending on your use you can switch accordingly.

As a controller all knobs can send CC + Sysex, and you can control your Blofeld or Largo directly (minus the additional features), might be useful for Waldorf nuts there.

If you like Waldorf sound in general, Q won't disappoint. I paid full retail price for an expanded Q Phoenix, but I don't regret it one bit. It's a keeper.

I rated 4 for bang for buck, but if you score a good one second hand, that might be 5 for you. Be quick though, prices are increasing for some reason (guess why)

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search