The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Novation Launchpad Pro

Novation Launchpad Pro

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great device but could be improved

4th August 2017

Novation Launchpad Pro by Scoox

• Sound Quality N/A
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3
Novation Launchpad Pro

I have had a Novation LaunchPad Pro since October 2015. It replaced my Korg padKONTROL which I gave it to a friend as I found 16 pads was never enough for most Battery kits etc.

padKONTROL pads were pretty nice, but didn't like the way the only lit up for a split second instead of until released. I understand it's very programmable and I did get into programming and hacking it for a bit but eventually decided it was more a distraction than a useful tool, so I just gave it away. The only thing I miss is the fact that it was very configurable, where the LaunchPad Pro cannot is not as flexible (well it is if you dig into the API but currently I don't have the time nor the will). So choose your poison. For me having 64 velocity sensitive pads was a huge selling point.

Things I like:

● 64 velocity-sensitive RGB pads
● Pads do feel good and are very responsive
● Smaller pads are easier to play as you don't have to move your hands around so much to reach for other pads.

Things I don't like:

● Side wall rubberised finish is easily damaged. It seems Novation's entire product line now uses this finish, which is universally known to peel off and scratch off easily. There are much better plastics out there, such as those used in old Lenovo laptops which are very tough.
● Strong varnish smell, or glue, or something. It's just not nice. This thing stinks of chemicals out of the box. I can still smell it.
● Zero serviceability: No screws can be seen anywhere on this thing, they are concealed by the orange rubber base, so if you need to repair, clean or whatnot be prepared to inflict some damage on your product.
● Pads make a "shopping bag sound" when you first start playing them, goes away after a few taps, comes back after a period of inactivity. It must be a layer of ... something ... which just happens to be part of the internal construction of the device.

Overall rating: a reluctant 7/10, of course.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search