The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vovox Microphone Cable

Vovox Sonorus Direct S Balanced Microphone Cable

4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Vovox Mic Cables... The Real Deal

12th July 2017

Vovox Sonorus Direct S Balanced Microphone Cable by VoiceShow

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.5
Vovox Microphone Cable

In many ways, human speech is one of the most critical tests there is for any piece of an audio chain that originates at a microphone. Admittedly, the frequency range we're dealing with is not great, but the details and dynamic range within the frequencies of human speech is noteworthy and mostly unique. In audiobook production, we are extremely interested in the tiniest details of the audio.

So, I'm in the middle of an audiobook project when I received a Vovox mic cable with the purchase of a new Brauner mic. I was at the point in the project where I had already recorded the entire book, and was now doing "pick ups" (corrections from my earlier read of pronunciations and missed words, etc.) This step has me recording new takes of words, sentences, paragraphs, and sections, to be inserted into the original read. This is why it is crucial in this work to establish all variables (from acoustics to gain staging to mic placement, et al) prior to the start of recording, and lock it down for the duration. That's an important part of this story because it eliminates any of the myriad other variables that could have produced the result that I'm about to mention.

In 40 years producing audio, I've never been able to identify any significant improvement in audio quality based on a mic cable alone. Although, truth be told, it's never just the mic cable that gets changed. Except in this case. When I received my Vovox cable, I immediately walked into my voice booth and swapped out the mic cable I had been using for the new Vovox. It never crossed my mind that this would make an audible difference. My only reason for doing it was a little extra insurance that everything in the chain was as good as it could be.

The next day I recorded several pick ups, and immediately went to my workstation to insert the new takes into the previously recorded audio. I was literally stunned at the difference in the sound of the audio. There was this brand new clarity and depth to the audio that was so apparent it made the new recordings unusable; they were just so much better that the transitions were too jarring. And the previously recorded material sounded like 3rd or 4th generation tape dubs (sorry if some of you are too young to know what that sounds like).

I thought this was worth sharing because of the uniqueness of the situation—in that my audio chain was in lock-down except for the Vovox swap—and that I was able to directly compare instant transitions of a critical and unprocessed audio source from one cable to the other. It's also important to know that the original cable was a major brand name.

So, all this is to say that I'm now a Vovox believer. So much so that it makes me want to go back and re-record everything that I've ever done, and apologize to all of my clients for the inferior audio (even though no one ever complained about my audio quality).

Vovox is no gimmick; it's the real deal. Don't know if there is anything comparable, but I do know that there is nothing comparable in my cable inventory.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search