The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg Karma

Korg Karma

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Its Red !!!!!

25th June 2017

Korg Karma by ZipSnipe

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Korg Karma

The Korg Karma, I finally got my hands on this about a week ago. So this review is after one week of owning it.

Sound: Excellent, beautiful pads, deep deep basses, nice organs, playable pianos and some of the sweetest synth sounds you will ever hear. I was a lil disappointed in the pianos though, I was expecting the usual crystal clear pianos but I did not buy this for pianos, I bought because everything should sync to midi BPM. Which actually I cannot find any info as if it does or not. And speaking of info, there is not really a proper manual, sure you can go to Korg's website and download several manuals but they are either quik start guides, midi implementation or version update guides.

Well what do I like about this keyboard, well I like the keybed, reminds me of the M1 so I love it but then again I haven't had a proper keybed to play on for over 12 years. I love almost all the sounds on it, the pads are to die for, the bass is some of the deepest basses I have ever heard. I doubt they will need any processing when laying down to track.

Ok what I don't like is the layout of the sounds, absolutely no organization of the sounds. But then again I remember the M1 was like that too, but you can delete sounds and write over them, so I went through every sound and picked ones I wanted to erase and will begin re -sorting the sounds in somewhat organized way.

Another thing I don't like are the one finger riffs, oh don't get me wrong some of them really rock and are completely fun to jam with but they don't have a button to mute them or stop them, they just keep on jamming away, in fact if you let it play its as if you hit play on a tape deck and you can't get it to stop. The riffs just go off on their own too, its annoying on some patches. You can stop them by switching patches but that not good. But then again this is my first week with it and maybe there is a way to mute them I just haven't found it yet.

Sequencer. Well I dove int this the other day and it looked to be your standard keyboard sequencer, not too hard to use but you have to get used to the button layout and which ones you press to get ya where ya wanna go, nothing really stood out here but then again, my first week and this requires further investigation.

Overall, its a beautiful keyboard, I drove 2 hour round trip to get it(paid $500), I don't think I would have done that again. I also had a choice between buying this and a TR61 and I somehow feel like I should have went with the TR61. But hey I am hoping as I rearrange the sounds and learn the sequencer and that I will fall in love with this board . Information about this board is sparse or incomplete, there are no tutorials that are worth watching(there are some but they are the crappiest tutorials I have ever seen)

Well I will update this review here in about a month or two

Ok update7/14/17.

Figured out how to turn the riffs off, pretty easy buttons our right there on the left side of the lcd. Again totally fun to jam, I mean it is really fun, you get lost jamming on this thing. I am trying to debate using the sequencer on this. Those who say this is a great sequencer have never used a Roland product. I find Roland to be king of the sequencers when it comes to ease of use. Its not the easiest sequencer. But not too hard I did lay down an easy track fairly easy. Its just not a Roland sequencer. One thing I see that is lacking is a part mute. It would be nice if I could mute certain things in a riff, but I haven't found out how. More to come

Last edited by ZipSnipe; 15th July 2017 at 12:44 AM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search