The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tritik Echorus

Tritik Echorus

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A no-frills chorus plug-in with some distinctive sounds.

1 week ago

Featured Tritik Echorus by diogo_c

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Tritik Echorus

Product: Echorus
Developer: Tritik
Formats: AAX, AU, VST plug-ins for Mac (10.7+) and Windows (7+)
Demo: Fully functional with occasional audio dropouts
Price: $59 (€/MSRP, €29.99 intro offer)

The scope: After successfully delivering the flexible tkDelay, the nifty (and free) bitcrusher and the odd Moodal resonator, the rising software maker Tritik presents us with its fourth effort, the Echorus plug-in. As the name suggests it’s a modulation plug-in focused on chorus sounds, with four different sounding modes that are set to cover most common sounds associated with such effect, but also adding a few new flavours. The four chorus modes are described in the user manual:

Retro: Warm chorus built around a single pair of delay lines and LFOs.

Multi: Rich chorus based on 4 delay lines per channel, each one modulated by its own LFO. The modulations frequencies and phases are specifically controlled to provide rich and wide choruses.

Detune: This chorus does not use modulated delay lines, but processes the incoming audio signal via a specialized pitch shifter. In this mode, the rate and depth controls act in a specific way: The depth sets the pitch shift from -30 to 30 cents, while the rate progressively adds some modulations (independently of the depth value). The wet output only features the detuned signal. Move the Mix fader toward 50% to get chorusing and other modulations delights.

Random: This mode uses 8 delay lines per channel, each one modulated by a different random walk generator. Great for slowly evolving choruses, and thick sounds with less wobbles than choruses using classical waveforms for the modulations.
All four modes shares the same rate, depth and width controls, which are set independently so when you go from one mode to the other those settings are preserves. Echorus also offers echo with delay and feedback controls, sweepable high pass and low pass filters with fixed slopes, output gain and dry/wet sliders. There’s also an useful freeze parameters options to lock the desired controls and keep them from changing when browsing through the presets - which are nicely organized on their menu. Echorus also features bypass and undo buttons, A/B settings and a nice “tips” window that gives some further insights on how to make the best out of this plug-in. Overall it’s another solid effort from Tritik, once again bringing a focused and simple to use tool with a slick interface to address a specific effect with great efficiency.

Sound quality: All four modes are very distinctive sounding, each with its own signature and I like the fact that they’re not close to each other, so we really have four chorus sounds to play with it here. My personal favourites were the Retro and Random, as they were the ones that sounded most characterful and unique to my ears, but all four modes are likely to cause some Déjà Vu as they’re all somewhat reminiscent of some classic chorus units even though they’re not clones or emulations of any particular gear. Tritik set its own style, which in this day and age of emulations is a laudable effort. I personally liked Echorus for more pronounced effects, but it can also work in cases where a more subtle effect is needed and this is quite a versatile plug-in and it can pull quite a few tricks, being useful on vocals, guitars and synths. One thing that I missed was some extra richness on the stereo field, which was something that is kind of subtle on all four modes, but nothing that can’t be addressed by inserting a stereo enhancer or a Haas-style stereo delay right after Echorus. I’d rather be able to do everything in one place but Echorus builds a solid foundation for further tweaks with other plug-ins, which is the most important aspect to observe here.

Ease of use: There are hardly any chorus plug-ins out there that are easier to use than this one, perhaps the TAL-Chorus-X (minus the noise) but that’s a very specific kind of chorus. Echorus has a very clean and slick interface, controls that should be understood straight away and getting the desired sounds from it shouldn’t take more than a few moves. The documentation does a great job on explaining everything in concise manner and inside the plug-in there’s also a “tips” window which provides some further insights into operation. There are also a handful of presets to get us started, but honestly I don’t really feel the need for them but I welcome the neat preset menu which should be useful for storing settings for upcoming sessions. Lastly, it’s a lightweight plug-in that barely puts any load on the system and operates with zero latency which is always a great thing.

Features: As stated above, Echorus is a simple plug-in, which means that on one hand this is a good thing since it’s not bloated nor complicated to use but on the other hand there are some features that I miss here. I’d like to have input/output metering as I suffer from severe gain-staging OCD. A second feature that I’d love to have would be a “center” adjustment point for the filters so it could be used as a sweepable bandpass filter. You can achieve bandpass with the current controls but sweeping would require moving two parameters, which is not exactly ideal, so if the little bar between each filter was clickable we could drag it and therefore have a sweepable bandpass filter. If I could pick one feature to add this would be it, as it would keep the plug-in’s “spirit” intact. On the subject of filters, I also wouldn’t mind having a variable resonance control and drive, which also reminds me that an input saturation stage would be cool to have for dirty effects and as alluded before a stereo width control wouldn’t hurt as well. Nevertheless, these are all complementary features that would add more to the plug-in, but not having them doesn’t mean that the core functionality is compromised in any way and there’s plenty to enjoy here - a good variety of classic chorus sounds, resizable interface, lock any parameter when changing presets, A/B settings, great CPU optimization and great ease of use.

Bang for buck: A plug-in that fulfills its promise to bring effortless chorus effects and that comes with a price tag that won't scare, so the decision will come down to whether or not you need a chorus plug-in or if you’re not entirely happy with what you already have. Echorus is a welcome addition to any plug-in folder regardless of the scenario, it can be a great go-to chorus or add some further flavours to your sonic palette.

Recommended for: mixing engineers, producers, guitar/synth players and singers looking for a versatile and relatively affordable chorus plug-in that’s easy to operate and that sounds great.

Pros:
*Four distinctive sounding modes
*Super easy to use
*Not expensive

Cons:
*Hardly any, but I wouldn’t mind a proper bandpass filter and meters

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review: