The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
C12 clones - DIY

Matador C12 DIY Clone

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

The Matador C12 kit is offered by Chunger at Studio 939. The versions I built contain some of the best cloned components available. Capsules by Tim Campbell, AMI Tabfunkwerks T14 tranny, 1959 NOS GE 5 Star 6072 and rare 0.5uf output capacitors. These original circuits live up to the legend!

10th June 2017

Matador C12 DIY Clone by organicsounds

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
C12 clones - DIY

What can I say. These kits and the combination of choice components have made me a very happy guy. I wasn't sure what the results would be like but I wanted a pair of C12s and didn't have $50,000 laying around so I built a pair.

In use for the expected duties on drum overheads they shine giving the brass a definition I have not heard before and depth to kick and toms I could only dream of in the past. The drums sound professional and like they should sound on an album with little fuss.

Acoustic guitars sound dreamy revealing al the complicated and lush harmonics you expect to hear when sitting next to the player. The high end definition is glossy with sheen and without any harshness whatsoever.

Vocals are fantastic with the warmth of the chest tones to the air of the highs. This mic has actually brought one of my clients to tears to after their first vocal track. They had never heard anything quite like it.

Until now I didn't think that a mic could offer so much sweet high end clarity without any harshness at all. It leaves me speechless every time I use them because it can be so defined without being clinical and yet still be so balanced and dense. The bottom end goes on for ever!

DIY is not for everyone but for those who dare this is the project that will alter your studio and recordings!

Last edited by organicsounds; 11th June 2017 at 02:28 AM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search