The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves Audio F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ

Waves F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ

4.6 4.6 out of 5, based on 3 Reviews

Surgical dynamic equalizer with 6 floating, fully-adjustable parametric filter bands, advanced EQ and compression/expansion controls per band, mid-side processing options and more.

10th June 2017

Waves F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ by adrianex

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75

I've had this plug in for little bit with amazing results and its been finding its way more and more into my mixes.

So far has been a miracle worker in overtone and standing waves in guitars and bass.

On drums, it allows me to get aggressive or more creative tones when needed without becoming harsh. And make vocals cut thru the mix without sounding harsh.

Well thought out plug in all the way thru, very musical EQ that allows you to be surgical when you need it to be and easily adaptable to any Mixer work flow.

5th September 2019

Waves F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ by johannburkard

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

F6 is a Swiss army knife EQ. I use F6 all the time to remove resonances, mostly with bands in dynamic mode.

The GUI isn't as easy to use as other Waves plugin and the F6 RTA variant is more a toy if you have Voxengo SPAN. Things get confusing visually if you do a lot of cuts in the high end.

As with all Waves plugins, F6 benefits from the thought-out top bar for A/B testing, preset saving and sharing (Save -> Copy Preset).

13th July 2020

Waves F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ by TheOmegaShadow

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5

Sound Quality:

It's not a linear phase EQ so you may not really want to use it on a whole mix, but the quality is definitely good enough for sculpting and cleaning your individual audio tracks.

Ease of Use:

The controls at the bottom are quite easy to understand, but the curve display feels a bit cluttered, and lacks intuitive controls to replicate all the knob functions.

Features:

The Waves F6 is pretty fully featured for an EQ plugin, it has mid/side processing, band soloing and the main feature being reactive bands for expansion/suppression. The RTA mode gives you visuals of incoming audio. The Waves standard functionality is included giving you A/B comparison tools and preset management. There are no gimmicks, it's just clinical straight forward 6 band parametric EQ with band dynamics and high & lowpass filters. it's stable and dependable from my experience.

Bang For Buck:

Waves plugins are usually always on sale and this one can be had for not much at all, the F6 is an excellent de-esser, a very transparent way of boosting the nice parts of any track in a reactive manner. It's a decent EQ better than most included DAW EQs.

This type of EQ being a hybrid of compression/expansion & EQ is an excellent tool that saves lots of time in the virtual studio, the alternative is to setup a relatively complicated routing sidechain using EQs and expanders/compressors to achieve the same results, instead the F6 does it all in one plugin.

Conclusion:

For anyone who new to the market looking for an EQ plugin to add to their DAW, there are much better EQ plugins out there but for the price this is a very good value proposition and you will get plenty of mileage out of the F6.

For more experienced users with hundreds of plugins in their collection, it starts to become either about adding more mojo or workflow improvements, personally I'm starting to favour the Waves F6 over the iZotope Neutron EQ which was my go-to for reactive EQs.

The reason is purely for it's simplistic interface as it seems to achieve the same results faster for me. As for mojo there's none to be had here as it's more of a clinical sculpting tool which is just what I use it for and get excellent results, and for the price waves is selling the F6 for, I'm not complaining at all.

Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search