The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Empress Effects Heavy

Empress Effects Heavy

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Two channel distortion channel with highly adjustable mid and musical gate.

6th May 2017

Empress Effects Heavy by litepipe

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Empress Effects Heavy

I was looking for a pedal that could do a wide variety or Marshall and Mesa tones. I've tried many but often found other pedals to be too noisey. The noise was often a deal breaker for me.

I tried the Heavy out at NAMM. I was immediately surprised at how quiet it was. I knew that the pedal would defianetly be usable in a live situation.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the noise gate. I had yet to find a noise gate I got a long with. But, this gate was very musical. It doesn't suck out all the presence from your tone.

Because of how good the gate is, I've been able to use a start with single cools and high gain. Not something I would venture to do onstage in the past.

I like that the two channels are completely independent. With separate gsin, master and EQ settings. The right channel is voiced for extra gain. So, they're not exactly the same channel, but close.

As far as EQ goes, the mids are highly adjustable on this pedal. Whether you really wanna scoop them out or add them in, it's easy to get a great sound.

I've been able to get everything from JCM800 to modern high gain amp tones.

I've used the pedal through a variety of amps. It plays well with others. I didn't find any amps it didn't like. This is often an issue with a lot of dirstirtion pedals.

If I had a complaint I would suppose it would be, the knobs are small and easy to bump. Common to a lot of pedals. It has a LOT of output. So, I always double check the master output on each channel before I start a gig. Just so I don't peel the paint of the walls...at least not until midway through the set.

The pedal doesn't take a battery. It requires more current. This is why the pedal has nice headroom. To some the no battery can be an issue for some. But, you gain a lot with tone when it runs at 200mA.

It's a small imprint in the pedalboard. It's. I've to get two channels for what some pedals take up in one channel.

It's a high quality pedal. I've already recommended to a few friends and they love it.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search