The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DBX 786

DBX 786

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

The 786 is a dual channel microphone preamp featuring a pristine audio path, housed in an exquisitely engineered chassis. dbx refers to the 786 as a "precision microphone pre-amp" in that it is designed to provide the truest reproduction of the microphone source as is electronically possible.

4th May 2017

DBX 786 by ruby06

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25
DBX 786

The dbx 786 is one of the best sounding mic preamps ever made. It easily keeps up with the Millennia HV3 and M2B, the Forssell SMP2 or the DAV BGs, which I all have. Although it is a transformer based design it sounds very clean and doesn't color in any ways. I like this preamp because the dbx sounds very large and open although it doesn't color the music signal. With its 130 db it is absolutely noiseless. The fine control makes it very easy to adjust the perfect gain setting. Lately I use the 786 even for its smooth EQ. With the pad in place it's possible to put any line level to it and through its Jenssen Transformer and the EQ the music signal gets more weight and has something definitive about it. (I know that a pad introduces some noise.. but the noise floor is so low that I still can't hear anything )
This is a great piece of gear!
Marcus

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search