The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Origin Effects SlideRig Compact Deluxe

Origin Effects SlideRIG Compact Deluxe

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

A pedal compressor that recreates two 1176 style circuits in series for a super squashed slide tone. The Lowell George sound.

20th April 2017

Origin Effects SlideRIG Compact Deluxe by litepipe

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Origin Effects SlideRig Compact Deluxe

For a long time I've tried to have a relationship with compression pedals. It's been a rough ride. Until recently, I just couldn't find one that would work in a live setting. I'm really into vintage tone. To my ears a lot of modern compressors sound dull and are noisey.

When in the studio I always use LA2A and 1176 compressors. I was really excited when I did a session the other week and the studio had Origin Effects Slide Rig Compact Deluxe. I had heard about the pedal, but never played one.

It was really an aha moment. It was pretty much the pedal I've always been waiting for as a slide guitarist. It didn't kill my tone. It didn't raise the noise floor to an unacceptable level.

It plays very musically. I find myself playing a lot more in the lower registers of the guitar with it. This was often a place that would get lost without a compressor or with other compressors. And now I can get a really nice clean Harrison tone as well on the high notes.

It can also growl a little on it's own if pushed. Something 1176 devotes love.

The Slide Rig Compact Deluxe gives you the option of using a single compressor, two compressors in series or combining the single and dual together. Plus, you can blend in the dry signal. I find this especially useful in a live situation where I tend to need a little more attack.

I also really like the preamp. Sometimes, I've been using the minimum of compression, but hitting the amp with the preamp. It's a very flattering sound. That brings up a good point. I tend to like a lot of pedals that add something special...Not just in the actual effect. But an addition in the tone or preamp. Like a real tape echo for example. It's not just the echo, but the preamp flavor that hightens the tone.

That's an added bonus with the Sliderig.

It lives on my pedalboard now. And not just for slide guitar. Origin did it right.

It's not the cheapest pedal. But, really great products cost money. It takes time to develop. They certainly didn't cut any corners with the build quality. It feels tour proof. Once you hold it in your hand and play through it, the cost makes total sense.

It does require 18v and doesn't come with a power supply. Something to keep in mind. I don't use wall warts anymore that wasn't an issue. And most modern power supplies can be setup to accommodate 18v. I personally like pedals that run at 18v for the additional headroom.

The silent switching is nice. No clicks or pops and there is also no delay when hitting the switch.

I don't really have anything to bad to say about this pedal. It's defiantly not a dust collector.

Last edited by litepipe; 20th April 2017 at 06:14 PM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search