The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beesneez Microphones Mahalia

4.25 4.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

U67 style tube microphone form Beesneez Australia.

19th April 2017

Beesneez Microphones Mahalia by zarven kara

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.25

Beesneez is one of those companies that has been around for a while now and has developed a good reputation for developing high end tube microphones.

Whenever a product seems to get around and last for more than a few years in the market without disappearing its a sure sign that they are doing something right. This is certainly the case with Beesneez Microphones and the Mahalia is no exception.

It has been designed around the revered u67 and I must say doesn't fall short of it, if at all.

The Mahalia is extremely well built and has that unique Beesneez style to it coming with a sturdy carry case, power supply with 9 polar patterns, REDCO 7 pin cable and suspension mount.

It is definitely a "colourful" mic boasting a K6 capsule, General Electric Jan 5654 tube and a cinemag 2510 transformer which gives the Mahalia that thickness and warmth.

It has been described as "not too accentuated at the top end" and some say "its a dark microphone". I couldn't say it's a dark microphone but did enjoy the understated top end.

I firstly tested it on both male and female vocals and found it to work well in both applications. It definitely wasn't over hyped, but delivered a slight air around 10k which gave it that "silky" sound. Not as pronounced as a 251 style microphone but still present. What stood out in this application was the way it went into a subtle compression and soft clipping as the mic was pushed a little , rather than a harsh overloaded distortion that you get with cheaper microphones. Because of this its one of the few tube mic's that you can through up on more aggressive vocalists. Very handy.

Its obviously at home on on vocals but I found it an exceptional room mic for drums. I only had the option of mono recording but even then it gave that larger than life sound without any nasty artefacts and due to the extended frequency response in the low from the K6 capsule the Mahalia gives the impression of everything being that touch larger than they really are. In the future could see adding another one to the collection and using them as a stereo pair in this application, moving aside my U87 which seemed a little small in comparison.

I can well imagine this would also shine on strings due to that refined silky high end and acoustic guitars. All thats needed now is a second to run as a stereo pair....

http://reeltoreelstudios.com

Attached Thumbnails
Beesneez Microphones Mahalia-dsc_6825-copy.jpg  

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search