The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Maag Audio EQ4 - 500 Series

3.25 3.25 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Great sound, lame build quality.

12th April 2017

Maag Audio EQ4 - 500 Series by ripripstabstab

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 2 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 1 out of 5
  • Overall: 3.25

I own a pair of these for stereo duties and they sound incredible. Effortless at boosting and cutting. You really have to try to get these sounding bad so, sound-wise, these are 5/5.

The build quality is a different story. Even at $850 a piece the knobs are made out of dinky plastic and don't even snap into place at the stepped frequencies. There's always some annoying wiggling. I get the same feeling from these as I do a cheap old plastic Tascam mixer from the 80's. Another minor annoyance is that the front panels are slimmer than any other units I own so there's gaps between them after being installed.

For the price, and given the nearly unanimous praise, the build is really disappointing and nowhere near the solid heft of other 500-series units - some even cheaper than these - from A-Designs, API, Rupert Neve Designs, Dramastic Audio and others. At $1,700 for the pair from an American company I expected better.

UPDATE 3 DAYS AFTER INITIAL REVIEW:

One of the units is already bad. After just a few hours of use it spits out nothing but garbled, crackling noise. Seems like the poor build quality extends beyond the actual tactile feel. Changed "ease of use" from a 5 to a 2 for wasting my time.

Last edited by ripripstabstab; 15th April 2017 at 09:49 AM..

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ...
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search